Neurology Expert Forum
clonazepam/pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

clonazepam/pregnancy

I have taking clonazepam .25 mgs  twice daily.  A.M.  and P.M.
for the past 3 years.  My question is, there is the possibility I may be pregnant.  MIssed period for 52 days. Morning nausea. I am concerned this medicine may have damaged the fetus, if there is a pregnancy. ( I could also be menopausal). I am also afraid to just stop this med without tapering for fear of withdrawl (withdrawal).  Can you give me any advice.?  I'm sure there are many women  who take an anticonvulsant for epilepsy,  which I know clonazepam used for so, what do these women do?  Continue their medications or stop them?  I DO NOT have epilepsy, but have taken this medication for panic/anxiety disorder.
THANKYOU,
MDM
A recent Harvard study looked at 38 women who used clonapezam during their pregnancy for panic disorder. 27 were available for followup and there were no complications during the pregnancy, labor or delivery. There were I think 2 cases however in which the baby had respiratory problems, but the mother was on both klonopin and another drug called imipramine.

My advice would be to first confirm whether or not you're pregnant. Then sit down with your doctor and weigh the risks and benefits of taking the medication during pregnancy. You are on a pretty small dose, so theoretically (and based on the odds) the pregnancy should be fine. But unless you really need the medication, you could consider tapering off the klonopin for the pregnancy. Of note, it was found that babies who were breastfeeding from mothers who took a medication called valium which is like klonopin became lethargic and fed poorly. Hope that helps
Thank you very much for a reassuring reply.  Yes, I'll shall see my obgyn soon, at least now I'm not so nervous!.
Thank you for this wonderful forum
MDM

I just found out I am pregnant (one day after missed period). In the last two weeks, without knowing I was pregnant, I took 0.5 mg clonazepam pills for four days to treat my sleeping problems. I also took 20 mg hydroxyzine per day and St. John Wort, both for 7 days.  All to treat the same sleeping problems.

I read about fetal risk in case clonazepam and hydroxixyzine are taking during the first trimester of the pregnancy.

Can you please advise whether it is safe for the baby to continue pregnancy?

Thank you.

S.

I just found out I am two-weeks pregnant. In the last two weeks, without knowing I was pregnant, I took 0.5 mg clonazepam pills for four days, and 20 mg hydroxyzine per day and St. John Wort, both for 7 days, all to treat the same sleeping problems.

I read about fetal risk in case clonazepam and hydroxixyzine are taking during the first trimester of the pregnancy.Can you please advise whether it is safe for the baby to continue pregnancy?
Thank you.

S.
A related discussion, Took klonopin before I knew I was pregnant. was started.
A related discussion, Clonazepam/Pregnancy was started.