clonus
At My last Doc appointment I was told that I had unilateral Ankle Clonus. Could this be a sign of MS? My Brain MRI and Cervical MRI were clear. This week I had to go for a Thoracic and Lumbar both with contrast. What is he looking for. Even with two clear MRI's could I have MS? This is driving me nuts!
Hello.

Ankle clonus suggests upper motor neuron lesion. This is possible in MS. But you should have a clinical picture which doesn't fit into other diagnoses. MS is a diagnosis of exclusion. There should always be an attempt to screen and rule out other diseases before you can call it MS.

Your doctor is hoping to find a lesion in the thoracic or the lumbar spinal cord to explain the ankle clonus. A spinal cord lesion produces upper motor neuron lesion signs, like the clonus.

Regards
Thank you for the info! If a lesion is detected does that mean I have MS for sure? What else could a lesion represent?
just moving back to the top
Just wanted to see if you would let me know what are some causes of lesions besides MS? Thank you in advance
Hello.

I am sorry if I did not clarify about the word "lesion" which is a general term. A lesion could be a tumor, cyst, compression due to disc prolapse, demyelination, infarct, etc. I is unlikely that your MRI will show demyelination, in view of the normal MRI brain and cervical cord.

There may be some other cause, possibly from the list I mentioned. And I suspect you do not have any other symptoms which suggest MS.

Regards