Neurology Expert Forum
cold hands and feet worse on left side

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cold hands and feet worse on left side

I am a 43 year old male non smoker. All winter I have had cold hands and feet much worse of my left side. I was under investigation for a numb patch on the left side of my back around the T8 region and had an MRI of the full spine this was normal. around the time of the investigation for my back by my GP I told her about the problem I have been having with my extremities. my feet and hands are normally really warm but not this winter. they are not cold all the time but it comes and goes. When it feels cold my left lower leg is icy to touch and it looks very pale. my left arm when it is cold aches around the elbow and wrist and in my fingers. The doctor examined me but my hands and feet were warm when she did. she says my pulses and capillary refill is good and no problem. I cannot venture to the cold air as it just makes my arm and lower left leg ache. I am not diabetic and my fasting blood sugar was 4.8.   after my examination by the GP she told me she believed it was related to Stress and should improve. but i do not feel stressed and its getting worse. I do not understand if its stress why is one side so much worse than the other. also when i sit on a chair my leg is much worse and when i am typing like now my arm is worse. walking around usually makes my foot feel better . i had a problem two years ago with enlarged  lymph nodes in my neck but afterv ultrasound the ENT specialist put it down to poor air quality at work. since then i have had reduced  movement in my neck and when i turn my head from side to side my neck muscles hurt.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I cannot comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Cold hands and feet may be related to multiple conditions.  Some conditions could be due to metabolic causes, such as Hypothyroidism, or vascular causes, such as Raynaud’s phenomenon.  It's a disease that involves an interruption in the blood flow to fingers and toes (and sometimes nose and ears), due to spasms in the blood vessels. Some triggers include: going outside in the cold weather, holding an iced drink, walking into an air conditioned room, putting hands under cold water, emotional stress.  Usually the affected area turns blue then white due to lack of oxygen.  Symptoms can resolve quickly or may last for hours. Raynaud's is a condition  that can be seen on its own, but can also be secondary to another autoimmune diseasem such as Hashimoto's disease, Graves' disease, lupus, Sjögren's Syndrome, scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis.

I would recommend being checked out for these by your PCP.  Hope this information was helpful.