Neurology Expert Forum
coldness in legs and cold spots on body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

coldness in legs and cold spots on body

Approxamately 4 years ago I started getting a pins and needles feeling all over my body. It came and went over the years and has developed into a steady cold feeling in my legs with cold spots allover my body as if my shirt is wet in spots touching my skin. I have been to a neurologist, have had an EMG which he said didn't really show anything but there was something not quite right that he couldn't put his finger on. He sent me for some sensory tests and when I took them I couldn't distinguish between hot and cold.When I called for the results I was told they wanted to repeat the tests. I did not go back as my wife became seriously ill and that took all my attention. Now I still experience the coldness, when I sit or am still for long periods of time it is the worse. WHEN I am busy or exercising I dont seem to notice it. When I am laying down and covered with a blanket i dont notice it.But as soon as air hits my skin its there. I have had my circulation checked by a vascular doctor and he said it was fine. Also when this happens my vision seems to be poor. Do you have any answers or a direction I should pursue?
Dear JPM:

Sorry that  your having syptoms (symptoms) that you describe.  It sounds somewhat odd that when your busy, you have no symptoms.  If there was a bad pathological problem, it should be there more constantly.  You might have what we call a dysautonomia.  I would revist the testing for dysautomonia and see if the result shows that you have a problem.  Since you had essentially a normal EMG, most of the worrisome things are likely not occurring.  It might also help toget a baseline set of labs.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
someone suggested possible heavy metal poisoning or exposure to fungicides and fertilizers.What do you think?
A related discussion, coldness in legs was started.
A related discussion, cold feelings in legs was started.