Neurology Expert Forum
complex migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

complex migraines

hello first of all i would like to thank you for your time to answer my ??.  i was recently dx with complex migraines. i have a history of migraines for several years. i started having seizures last year. i havent had one since sept. of 2000.   i still have the headaches. sever body pain. muscle weakness fatigue severe muscle spasms to the point of being up all night. small twitching of the muscles in the legs mostly but occasionaly in other parts of the body. sharp pain in the left tempal and left eye. blurred vision double vision  days when it just hurts to walk.   and recently i just discovered some lumps in the lower portion of my back. which are painful to touch they are close to the spine area. does that dx sound right to you.   i am currently on keppra 1000mg a day and imitrex for the headaches and amitriptyline 50 mg at night to help me sleep cuz i have trouble sleeping at night. again thank you for your time.
wolfie557
For an accurate diagnosis, I would have to personally examine you and review your clinical history. However, it does sound like you're having significant pain and headaches at the very least. With the new onset of seizures and recurrent left sided symptoms, I would make sure you had an MRI of the brain to reassure yourself that everything's ok. Second, if you're having recurrent migraines frequently, then you need to be on a preventive medication like propanolol, a med that is typically used as an antihypertensive that is taken daily. Third, a medication like depakote has dual properties in its antiseizure function as well as pain management. Tegretol is a similar med, but has lots of side effects. Fourth, whole body pain usually doesn't respond well to medications. THis may require biofeedback or meditation. Finally, in the year 2001 we have many different migraine medications that are new and improved. Talk to your doctor about the appropriate seizure and migraine meds for you. FInally, you should definitely have an MRI if you just developed seizures. Best of luck.
you might want to look into something called fibromyalgia, sounds alot like your symptoms
Hi.. I am new to this forum.  I was diagnosed with intractable migraines about 6 montha ago.  The nueroligist that i see has been very compassionite and I feel that I can trust him completly.  I am wondering if You could let meknow some of the ssymptoms of fibromyalgia?  I am concerned that these migranes (migraines) and general pain in my body might not be from a Lupron injection that i recieved for Endometriosis.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
i just went back to my neuro last monday and he said i didnt have complex migraines. and said that where i havent had that many migraines and am just having fatigue and body pain that i dont need to see him anymore. i questioned fibromyalgia, my mom was dx with that in july, he told me that was not something he can dx and that i would have to see my pcp. i was taken off the keppra and kept on the imitrex on an as needed basis.
i went to my pcp the following day and told him everything that is going on. i have not had a seizure since sept of 2000.
my pcp proceeded to to the tender point test on me and i had almost all of them. that is when he dx me with fibromyalgia.
started me on amitriptyline 50mg at bed time and will increase to 100mg at bedtime next week. he also did blood work for rheumitoid arthritis and something else. they all came back normal. what should be my next step? i have heard talk that a rheumy dr is better trained to treat fms but not sure. any advice would be greatly appreciated
wolfie557