Neurology Community
connection between Parkinsons and Tourettes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Is there any connection between Parkinsons and Tourettes? I have Parkinsons and my grandson has Tourettes. Both can be treated with deep brain stimulation. They both involve dopamine. Has anyone studied the relationship?
Hi there.

Parkinson's and Tourettes syndrome are both movement disorders that can be attributed to a problem with the part of the brain called the basal ganglia (though there are different parts of the basal ganglia that is affected differently by parkinson's and tourettes.  Tourette's syndrome can be inherited however it will be very hard to tell if he got it from your lineage.  I suggest, for more concrete answers, you may consult with your neurologist or a geneticist.  

Hope both of you are doing well with your treatments.  Regards and God bless...
i have  Tourettes, and parkinsons runs in my family, i am showing some of the same signs of parkinsons that my great grandpa had, can i get both,