Neurology Expert Forum
constant dizziness for one year

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

constant dizziness for one year

Hello Dr, I posted earlier with a descriptive summary of the symptoms I am currently facing (about 10 posts down), and I ran out of room to ask any questions. It all started with a severe 3-4 days of extreme vertigo which regressed to the stage of constant dizziness/lightheadedness which never goes away.  I can best explain my symptoms as, putting on a pair of subscription glasses not of your own stength, the resulting sensation feels like what I constantly cope with.
I have had MRI of brain w/ and w/o contrast, complete blood work including diagnostic for lupus, lymes, CBC, anemia; hearing tests; sleep studies - all normal. I have been placed on several antidepressants (wellbutrin, prozac, amitriptyline, norptryptiline, and effexor XR) none seem to help. Tried meclizine and other antihistamines which dont help. Valium helps but simply makes me too sleepy to function. Acupuncture, Chiropractic, moderate exercise help with symptoms.
I have seen several ENT, neurologists, infectious disease (toxic mold, chronic fatigue), cardiologists, planning on seeing rheumtologist, opthamologist.
I am planning on going to med school and am worried b/c I'm afaid I wont be able to handle it. As the day progresses I start to get severe headaches, which feel like my eyes and brain are burning on fire (not migraine-like). It makes it very hard to concentrate let alone study.
What else can I do (MRA/V, spinal tap, CT)? Do you know recommend any physicians from UCSF/Stanford? What other diseases, tests should I inquire my physicians about?Any treatment you suggest?Please help I am desperate!
Unfortunately, the cause for chronic dizziness is never found despite an extensive workup in about half the patients we (neurologists in general) see. This has been well documented in a number of research studies looking at patients with this problem as dizziness is one of the most common complaints seen in the outpatient department. The clinical examination is very important in finding out if there is evidence of any other accompanying neurological deficit which can help the clinician order the appropriate tests. Instead listing a bunch of neurological tests in a shotgun approach, I would have to personally examine you and review your clinical history and prior workup before saying what the next test would be.

Here at the Cleveland clinic, we have a dizzy clinic run by a neurologist Dr. Oas who is also ENT board certified. There are special studies that he does looking at nystagmus and different manipulations to see if he can provoke your symptoms. Vestibular therapy (think of it as a specialized physical therapy for dizzy pts) has been helpful for many of his patients. Both stanford and UCSF have excellent neurology programs, but ask them if there is a specific clinic for dizziness as there is here and at Johns Hopkins. Also, you can ask if there is someone who specializes in dizziness ot if vestibular therapy is available there. For more info, you can try the Johns Hopkins site and NIH at
1. http://www.bme.jhu.edu/labs/chb
2.http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dizzinessandvertigo.html
Good luck
I don't know if this will help. But I had something similiar to what you have. What I recommend you do is to stop thinking about the dizzy feeling, and to buy an orthopaedic pillow at a local store with grooves and bumps on it. It is around 25 dollars. It seemed to solve my "dizzy" problem. Best regards!
I also have feelings of dizzyness similar to your description of putting on specs that are not my own. I am currently having tests [although this may not be relevant] for helicobacter pylori, as all my spells seem to stem from feeling ill due to suspected stomach ulceration. As i have said the feelings i get are not constant, they can happen at any time and with a huge variation in strength. Sometimes i am practically unable to even remember very simple words for things, or even concentrate long enough to have a simple chat.
It can be very scarry indeed, if i try to sleep through this i get the feeeling that i am about to fit [i have had two of these]
This has been happening to me for about 3 years now, although i have only recently began to seek medical help. my doctor seems to think that it is triggered and due to anxiety. I have not drank alcohol for over a year now, in the hope that this may have been the cause. I am now keeping a constant record of foods taken etc: in the hop of finding a root cause.
you are not alone with this type of condition. i hope this helps
Hi, i to suffer with what you got, i have been to many neros and ent specialists, i have also had an mri etc, and feild tests from the optimist, i am currently awaiting to see my doctor who is away, but i am going to ask him about serc they are meds for vertigo, they correct offbalance that we feel, like a daze as if you are in a dream etc.. i know how you feel, i suffer from anxiety and i think also vertigo i have been reading up on this and i am going to ask my doctor if i can try serc.. see if that will help me... its worth trying.. please email me ide love to chat with another sufferer.. thanx

Donna

Donna
I have had dizziness for 4 days, have not seen my doctor yet as she wants to wait for the results of my bloodwork.  I am worried that it might be something serious, like a tumor or something, but reading these comments makes me think it's not as bad.  I never knew people could have this problem and there not be reason for it.  I just hope and pray that mine is a simple thing!