cranial pain
I am a 52 year old woman who has had anterior cervical fusion 10 years ago. I have been experiencing sharp jabbing pains on the very top of my head, dull throb under the right of my nap of my neck, and a dull right ear ache. Should I be worried. I had such trust with my old neurologist but he has retired since then. What should I do?
Thank you for your question. Most likely your symptoms may be due to Cervical spondylosis or due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of fusion where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, ear, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. Other symptoms are like neck pain and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, the doctor may also suggest cervical traction, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.