Neurology Expert Forum
cut open thecal sac

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cut open thecal sac

Posted By  CCF Neurosurgery MD/ GM on March 07, 1998 at 18:24:03:

In Reply to:  cut open thecal sac posted by Jeff Lavia on February 13, 1998 at 20:59:56:

: I am requesting any information and advice anyone there can provide.  My friend had back surgery approx 4 years ago, she had some bones removed and metal inserted after this surgery the doctor told her and her family that he accidently cut her thecal-sac during the surgery but he "sewed" it up and she shouldn't have any problems. Within the past 6 months she had the metal removed and scar-tissue removed this surgery was done at the University of Pgh Medical Center.  She was informed she was possibly having strokes during the surgery. A MRI was conducted and other tests as  well, her doctor informed her thecal-sac was cut and she was leaking cerebro spinal fluid and that this incident occured during her first surgery. The doctor recommended she get an attorney, that is not what she wants. She wants to know if there's any way to fix this?
                                                                          thank you

Dear Mr. Lavia:
Spinal fluid leaks in cases of low back surgery and placement of instrumentation are not that uncommon and are fairly self limiting processes. I don not believe that this description of strokes that you give is related to spinal leaks.
In addition if spinal leaks are persistent from the first surgery then your friend would have had many other problems including possible meningitis and leakage of fluid through the skin. In any event these problems can be treated fairly reliably with a multitude of methods.
I do not understand why you were told to seek the help of an attorney, and I can not really comment on this issue.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck!