Neurology Community
cynovial cyst recurrence

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

cynovial cyst recurrence

I had decompression surgery on my L4/L5 Feb 2011, the pain eased for only a couple of weeks. Cysts had appeared at the site of surgery where they had removed the offending bone, giving me the same symptoms but degenerating over the following months. I started to get 'numbness' and weakness in areas, including bowel and bladder (the opposite of incontinent). I was eventually operated on in Dec 2011 to remove the cysts. Complications after surgery with nerve function sent me back into theatre the next day. The pain was gone after surgery (wonderful) but again I started getting pain back but this time on the other side. My bowel and bladder started improving then, suddenly, as the pain worsened, started to get worse again. MRI showed that cysts had grown back. Please what can I do about this.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and welcome to the medhelp forum. Synovial cysts usually form in the lumbar portion of the spine when degenerative diseases like arthritis affects the facet joints in the spine. These affect the spinal stability apart from the pressure and compression symptoms, which you are having. The excessive synovial fluid production is formed because of the degenerative process and forms a synovial cyst pressing on the nerve roots within the spinal canal. You have undergone multiple surgical decompression but with recurrence. You could discuss with your neurosurgeon the possibility of cyst aspiration under imaging visualization, associated with recurrence. Steroid injections can be given into the facet joint or the space surrounding the cyst to reduce the associated inflammation. Consult your neurosurgeon immediately since you have bladder bowel symptoms indicating lumbar spinal stenosis. Wishing you all the best.