Neurology Expert Forum
daily headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

daily headaches

i am male, 15, betwwen 5'9 and 5'10, every morning i wake up with a bad headache and some last about an 1hr. and others last through out the whole day. i have had them for about 2-3 months. i don't use advil or anything very often, but i wont to know what is causing these headaches.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many causes but some include medication side effects, systemic illness, nervous system infection, tumors, bleeds in the brain or clots in the veins of the brain, and others.  Please realize that primary headache disorders are much more common than secondary ones. There are over 50 types of primary headache disorders.  For example, a pulsating throbbing one-sided pain with nausea and discomfort in bright lights and sounds that lasts several hours would be a migraine. Another type is cluster headaches, which are sharp pains that occur around and behind the eye often at night and are associated with tearing of the eye and running of the nose. In primary stabbing headache, sharp or jabbing pain in the head occur, either as a single stab or a series of brief repeated volleys of pain. Primary stabbing headache often occurs in people with migraine. The pain itself generally lasts a fraction of a second but can last for up to one minute in some people. Another type of stabbing headache is called paroxysmal hemicrania. This is marked by episodes of stabbing or sharp pains that occur on one side of the head and may be associated with eye tearing or runny nose. Episodes may occur several times and last 30 seconds to a minute. Yet another type of stabbing headache is abbreviated SUNCT; 100s of stabbing pains lasting seconds occur and are associated with red eye and tearing.

One of the most common causes of headaches in people with chronic headaches is called medication rebound or medication overuse headache: medications as simple as tylenol or advil if used too much can cause rebound headaches that are even worse then the headaches for which the medications were started for. This is very common and is most likely to occur with use of any medication for your headache more than a few times a week. If this is the source of your headache, the treatment will require long term management by a qualified physician.

Without further information about your headache, it is difficult to provide you with adequate or much more information. However, it is important for you to understand that if you have not experienced headaches in the past and you are now having new head pains, seeing a neurologist is a good idea, just to make sure there is no serious cause for the pain.  You will need to describe the headache in detail during the exam. This includes location, intensity, quality, duration, associated symptoms, etc. Imaging of the brain and sometimes then neck may be indicated depending on your exact symptoms, your physical examination, and other factors. I would also suggest that you have your blood pressure checked to rule out a treatable cause for headache. Lastly, if you are a snorer or have ever been witness to not breathe while you sleep, you may have a condition called sleep apnea. I mention this because sleep apnea can be a cause for morning headache.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.