demyelinating plaques
hi im a 33 yr ol female who suffers from dizzines ,vertigo, ear pressure, hypothyroid, macular degene.headaches overall tireness,and lately tremors and brain fog.. i know this isnt enough for a dx  but please help in understanding mri reading ...sometimes i think im going crazy its been 8 long years feeling like this.
could this be multiple sclerosis..?

IMPRESSION:
  Multiple focal hypersensities on flair and T2-weighted images in the frontal cortex and subcortical white matter bilaterally that may represent demyelinating plaques ,viral process or unidentified bright  objects....

MRI machine is 3.OT/1.5T  
Hello, Kitty.

I'm sorry to read that you're having so many health problems.  I am not a doctor and can't explain the full MRI report.  However, demyelinating plaques are lesions in the brain that cause demyelination of the nerves.  Nerves are surrounded by a protective sheath called the myelin.  When a disease causes the protective sheath to break down or deteriorate, this is called demyelination.  There are many diseases that cause this - MS being the most recognizable.  As the nerves demyelinate, the the signal flow from brain to nerve to body breaks down and causes many problems depending on what part of the brain and what nerves are affected.  Only your doctor can tell you exactly what the MRI results mean.  And, most demyelinting diseases have an uncertain future - no one can predict how severe the damage will be and what the long term prognosis is.  the fortunate thing is that there are many new drugs on the market that help with the symptoms and make life more manageable.

Best of luck!

Curt
Just wanted to add to Curt's assesment, which is what I believe from what I understand of ur report.....but again not being a medical person it is not possible to translate ur report.Did u post this in the expert forum? Drs do post here, but u may get a quicker responce on the expert forum.Click on forums and look to the right.....

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
I just got an MRI post op 4 months from brain surgery, and my report was almost identical to your's regarding the T2 Hypersensities.  I have read that this could be related to MS, which is also tied to my brain disease.   I was diagnoised with Chiari Malformation last April and underwent brain surgery on Sept, 24, 2012.  I felt pretty good post surgery up to about 3 weeks, when all of assudden, I started experiencing more dizziness, more headaches, ear pressure and ringing, degenerative disc disease through out my whole spine and now have addition 2 herniated discs and 2 buldging discs in my cervical spine, these are putting pressure on my spinal cord and creating what I thought was due to the discs, numbing all throughout my neck, shoulders and arms.  I am 45 years old, I have two beautiful amazing daughter's who are stuggling watching me staying in bed all day, and never want to get out of the house.  Also, I too suffer from Low Tyroid and take medication daily for it.  I am sorry if this is so scatter, on top of everything, I have a hard time getting my thoughts, and words out when talking, and my short term memory is gone, I can't remember anything....I have post it's all over my house, no joke.  

I am so sorry for all that you are going through, Please keep us updated as to what your neuroligist say's. There is one other thing, a friend of mine, did a search and she said that this could also be related to bipolar disease or depression.  I have an appointment with my neuroligist tomorrow to review my MRI and I will let you know if or what he says about this. Also have an appointment with my women's health doctor and I had some blood work done, and a few other test's as I was thinking maybe I am going through "the change" I am reviewing those with her on Wed.  Hopefully one of them will know what is wrong and I can get it fixed, as I can no longer watch my daughter's go through having a Mom who is alive but is dead at the same time, I want my life back, for me and my family.  

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Susie

Hi...I invite u to join the Chiari forum here on MedHelp....u may have a CSF leak post op or developed another issue or condition which has happened to others,....

This with Chiari are prone to have Hashimoto's thyroiditis,....so ur thyroid condition is typical for someone with Chiari....

I also went thru the change earlier then I expected so, again since ur thyroid is  giving u issues this is not far from expected either,...

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc