dental pain, nose numbness, one sided headache
About 3 weeks ago, I had a virus which included fever, chills.  At one point, while experiencing these symptoms, I came close to fainting, everything went black though my eyes were open and there was a buzzing in my ears.  It slowly receded.  After the fever was gone I started  to experience sinus pain.  I went to my P.A. who said that I had fluid in my left ear.  I then went through 5 days of Augmentin.  There was no drainage and no change.  I was also experiencing tooth and jaw pain.  This mainly on the right side.  I went back to the P.A, who put me on 7 days of Levaquin and ordered a sinus x-ray.  The sinus x-ray came back negative.  The tooth pain continued and even got worse.  I then had a CT scan of my face which came back negative for any issues in my bones, clear for sinus issues.  I then went to my dentist yesterday for an exam. The tooth and jaw pain is significantly worse when I lay down or bend  down.  Also, if I drink anything hot or cold.  My upper 6 front teeth are part  of a bridge.  He did an x-ray of those teeth and did not see anything immediate. All pain is on the right side.  He made me a mouthpiece to try for few days at night to see if I am clenching/grinding my teeth.  He talked with me about the possibility of needing a root canal on front tooth under bridge or the possibility of trieminal neuralgia.  I woke up today with a headache on the right side of my head around my temple and numbness in my nose on the right side.  I have shooting pains that last a few minutes and are along my upper jaw as well as lower jaw.  There is a sensitivity to touch under my right eye.  My question is about what to do next.  Do I go to dentist for a root canal or to a neurologist regarding a possible neurologist or an ENT as suggested by my PA?  I am also thinking  that I should be seeing the doctor that oversees my PA as this is getting more complicated.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  The dental pain is very intense and these other symptoms are really starting to scare me. Thanks  so much
Hello, I have had over the last 3 years the same issues; always believing that
this was related to my teeth.  I was misdiagnosed with TMJ and almost had set up
to have surgery.  I just found out that I do have Trigeminal Neuralgia.  I have the same symptons you have and I have researched this many people have unneccesary procedures done on their teeth thinking its that.  I would recommend before you undergo the root canal seeing a Neurologist and having them do a MRI they will be able to see if its the Trigeminal Neuralgia by this test.  I hope this helps, I know how
frustrating this can be and also how painful it is.  Please let me know what happens.

Take Care,
Maryellen
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Your symptoms may be most likely due to trigeminal neuralgia as you have typical one sided facial pain extending to temple and eye( ophthalmic branch of trigeminal nerve may be involved) and sore gums of the teeth of same side (maxillary branch of 5th nerve). Trigeminal neuralgia may have a triggering factor like recent history of tooth extraction, touch, cold breeze or hot sensation etc. which you need to evaluate and avoid. Drug of choice for trigeminal neuralgia is carbamazepine but as the dose may vary according to severity therefore I would advice an oral medicine specialist consultation or at least a physician to confirm this diagnosis and get you treated accordingly. Take care.