Neurology Expert Forum
depression

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

depression

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH DEPRESSION OVER 3MONTHS AGO.
MY DOCTOR HAS PUT ME ON ZOLOFT STARTING AT 50MG PER DAY.
I HAVE NOW BEEN PUT ON 100MG A DAY.I WAS DOING FINE UNTIL ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND THE TINGLING IN MY FACE AND ARMS HAVE RETURNED.
I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SLEEP AND WHEN I DO FALL ASLEEP I WAKE
UP WITH HOT SWEATS.I HAVE BEEN GIVEN AMBIEN TO TAKE FOR MY SLEEPING BUT IT IS NOT HELPING I WAS GIVEN 10MG TO TAKE AT NIGHT.
THE TINGLING IS CONSTENT IN MY FACE BUT IN MY ARMS IT SEEMS TO GO FROM ONE ARM TO THE OTHER LASTING A FEW HOURS.I ALSO HAVE BEEN HAVING SHARP PAINS TO RUN THROUGH MY HEAD.I HAVE HAD AN MRI AND IT CAME BACK FINE.I CAN REMEMBER BEING A TEENAGER AND HAVING THESE TERRIBLE PAIN TO SHOOT THROUGH MY HEAD CAUSING MY TOUNGE TO FEEL AS IF IT WAS GOING STIFF.IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I COULD BE MISS DIAGNOSED.I HAVE NOT BEEN THROUGH IN TRAMACTIC EVENT TO CAUSE ANY DEPRESSION.                              THANKS,VICKY
The symptoms you are describing are very diffuse. The MRI of the brain if done recently has helped to exclude abnormal masses, strokes, or inflammation in the brain. The symptoms by themself are not a means to diagnose depression. If you are concerned about the sensory symptoms, perhaps a consultation with a neurologist would be useful to exclude any abnormalities. Since this followed a recent change in medication, it is possible this is a medication side effect. You should discuss this with the doctor who prescribed the medication. Good luck.
Hi Vicky,

I don't know what to tell you about your depression, but I take ambien at night and have for a while and it still works.  I sleep a minimum of 6 hours a night. It really doesn't take very long to kick in either.  If you are still having problems sleeping after taking the ambien, you may want to tell your physician. Good luck to you.  I wish for you the best.
Have you seen a neurologist?  Maybe a neurologist or your regular doc could prescribe either Elavil or Neurontin to help with the tingling sensations.  There is no fun in getting an inadequate amount of sleep.  Maybe a sleep aid would help too.  You probably need a thorough neuro exam if not done already.  Tell the doc you are not sleeping well because of the sensations.  Good luck.
You'd have to discontinue the meds to see if they were causal in any case.