Neurology Community
disc bulging

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

disc bulging

On my MRI on August/o7 it showed mild broad-based disc bulge @ L3-4, @L4-5 there is a board-based as well more towards the left posterolaterally,resulting in narrowing of the left neural foramen.The exiting nerve root is not specifically compressed and there is still some perinerual fat around it.There is no spinal stenosis.On April2nd/08 I had a procedure called "left and right L3-4and L4-5 hemilarninotomies" done. I still have alot of right leg pain going down the outer side of the left leg sometimes into the arch of the left foot.  I do not feel that surgery has help. do u feel that a "fusion" of those disc would help or what would u recommend ? I am a nurse and as I am sure u can relate to I am on my feet alot and doing alot of lifting at times. I am constantly in pain and not comfortable in my daily routine of life.  Any advice would be greatly apprecialted thank you
Hello Dear,
The success of the  fusion procedure is about 85-90%and there is a chance that another fragment of disc may herniate and cause similar symptom

I would recommend you to first go for conservative treatment and keep surgery as the last option
Treatment options are geared toward pain relief.
Pain medications such as NSAIDs, corticosteroids orally or injected, anti-spasm drugs, anti-convulsants to help with the pain, and in some cases, narcotic pain relievers are given.
You  should go in for Physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain .Neck and back exercises will help you.
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.Although slow, usually these conservative treatments relieve pain.
Best