Neurology Community
disc prolapses in basketball

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

disc prolapses in basketball

after mri scan i got the answer about L4-5, L5-S1 disc prolapses. I'm 19 years old male, amateur basketball player, and i really want to know, are there any opportunities to have a surgery after which i will be able to perform 100%.
I am really stressed because of my injury, and i just want to know everything of the surgery, and to know, is there very dangerous  to sport in 100% with my injury now, because after 4 weeks rehab (lower back warming and other procedures, streching exercises for lower back, swimming) i don't feel confident with going back to work in gym. Before injury i was very fast player, who like to play using phisical force, but now i'm worry that i couldn't get back in shape that i had before, because i was told, that i have no chance to get back into normal weight lifting.
Next month i'm meeting really good specialist, but i can't wait for it and want to know as quick as i can and as much as you can tell about my problem.
I appreciate your time and consideration and i looking foward to hear from you soon.
Hello.

I would like to mention that you can go back to play the game as you earlier did.

The disc prolapse obviously will take its time to heal completely. You may not be allowed to play during the recovery phase. But this is not permanent.

With a good physical trainer, you can start doing graded exercise for a good recovery. In the initial period, you will have to avoid lifting heavy things and jumping too high. But as you recover, you can start playing as before.

Please discuss with the specialist all the aspects of treatment. And never lose hope. Always be optimistic as you are.

Regards
Thank you for your post, at this moment how i said before, i'm really stressed. Also i want to ask about what can i do now. Last week i started to run a few miles every day, also do pull-ups, push-ups, to work with dumbbels (3kg). Can this be dangerous for me right now? or should i do only low back steching and my abdominal muscles?
Sorry for my particular questions and heartily thank you for your answers and support.