Neurology Community
disc replacement vs. fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

disc replacement vs. fusion

I am a 46 year old female who had cervical disc replacement surgery at C5-6 and C6-7.  My surgery was in March 2009 and since I woke up from surgery I had a terrible pain in the back of my neck.  I have had continued pain and problems and sinceFebruary of 2010, my doctor, who is an orthopedic spine specialist, felt that the artificial disc at C5-6 was slightly posterior and that the bottom endplate had moved.  In September he mentioned removing the disc and fusing that level and C4-5 which is now bad.  In October, he mentioned just fusing C5-6 and putting another disc replacement at C4-5.  I have been seeing a Neuorosurgeon (due to insurance reasons) and he felt I was never a candidate for disc replacement because of the nature of my injury.  (I had a auto accident)  He felt that you need to stablilize those levels so the tendons and ligaments don't move and can heal.  He wants to take the artificial discs out and fuse all three levels.  My other doctor is against it and said I don't know what I'm about to undertake with this surgery and that I'll regret it as I'll lose a great deal of motion and be in a lot of pain.  Can someone who has had a three-level fusion shed some light on this type of surgery.  Will I not be able to move my neck again?  Please help.  I can no longer take all this pain.  Thanks