Neurology Community
dizziness, seeing spots...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

dizziness, seeing spots...

Lately i have not been feeling well, ill say for the last 10 months....a couple of times a day i have this dizzy/sinking feeling and then i get some sort of pressure on my head that turns into sharp pains. i also have been seeing floaters and yellow spots in my vision....i went to the er once for it and they told me is anxiety but i dont believe that just it....so someone plz help me....28/yr old male, quit smoking a month ago....

This discussion is related to Dizziness, spots of light.
Could be a series of things, blood sugar, stress, anxiety, blood pressure, I would just recommend a full  work up first from your family physician.
If you are having dizziness and seeing floaters then it needs a serious evaluation. The first possibility is of posterior vitreous detachment. It is a condition of the eye in which the vitreous humor separates from the retina. The important symptoms are floaters in front of eyes and flashes in front of eyes. First and foremost, regular estimation of blood sugar is important as hypoglycemia can lead to dizziness. Also get your blood pressure monitored as orthostatic hypotension due to sudden decrease in systolic BP can also cause dizziness.

Sometimes, there are partial or complete blockages in the arteries that supply the brain with blood.  These blockages can cause a temporary loss of blood flow (called transient ischemic attack, or TIA for short), or permanent loss of blood flow (called stroke; also called cerebrovascular accident).This can lead to impaired blood flow through these arteries and so dizziness.

Ear infections and other causes like Meniere’s disease or inner ear diseases can lead to dizziness. If there is any ear pain or tinnitus along with then it may be the possibility. Please get yourself evaluated for that.

Get the blood sugar evaluated and an ECG done. CT brain is also useful if a brain injury is suspected to be the cause of vertigo. The choice of treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

You are an extremely brilliant person. Medical advise is very hard to give for a physician in a small practice because they lack the tools to properly evaluate an individual. Most times leading to a trickled effect wherein the physician loses confidence in his/her answers.

It is very nice to see a Medical Doctor who can give advise on potential routes of care with out having a patient present. The medical field and the people you treat are very fortunate to have your expertise.