Neurology Community
dizzy and pain in arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

dizzy and pain in arm

For 13 months I have suffered from dizzyness and pain in both arms but mainly the right arm.  The pain ranges from about a 3 to a 10 out of 10.  It seems to be worse just below the top of my shoulder and on most days it feels like a 2" band around the front part of my upper arm.  On my worst days it radiates half way down the front side of my right arm.  The pain will keep me awake at night.  Even when the pain is not so bad when I awaken in the night and try to move my arm it is like it is frozen in place and it is very painful to get it moving again.

As for the dizzyness, I saw an ear, throat, and nose specialist and he did a hearing test and deduced from that, and from my description, that I had BPPV.  He does not believe the dizzyness has anything to do with the arm pain.  He gave me exercises to do but the first time I did them it made me nauseated and also made the dizzyness worse.  It may be a coincidence, but it seems that when my dizzyness is worse, my arm pain is worse.

Can you help me?

Hi, have you ever been evaluated for cervical spondylosis, it leads to neck and arm pain with vertigo at times. How old are you? It is a degenerative condition leading to formation of bony spurs which compress nerves and cause pain and stiffness. Try hot compressions, physiotherapy, pain killers for a week or so. For more  information visit website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cervical-spondylosis/DS00697.

Once this condition is ruled out, other possibilities should be looked into.
Thank you so much for responding.  I just turned 67 and I am otherwise healthy and active.  I have had two neck surgeries in the past. The first for removing bits of broken disc that had lodged inside the spinal canal (from being hit by a car), and the second time to remove a bone spur.

The current dizzyness and the arm pain both occured in April last year.  I thought they must be from some kind of virus, so I didn't seek any medical help until just a couple of weeks ago.  The arm pain has never gone away, but does vary in its intensity.  The dizzyness has occassionly almost vanished but usually just varies in its intensity.  

I attempted to visit the site you mentioned but it says there was no page for that site. I did check out a site that discussed symptoms of cervical spondylosis.  I do not have any numbness or weakness.  

Would you suggest I seek help from an orthopedic doctor rather than a neurologist?  If it is not cervical spondylosis what else might it be?  

Thank you so much for your help. LuAnn

Hi, well, best will be to see a neurosurgeon, other causes could be occipital neuralgia, myopathy, angina. What about your blood pressure. Also get an ECG done as angina does have similar presentation.
Thank you so much!  I will see if I can get an appointment right away!  You have been so helpful.  Bless you!  I know you don't have a lot of time for sitting at your computer, but I do appreciate all the help you have given me.
LuAnn Kendrick