don't know how to read MS panel results!!! please help!!!
I got my results for my MS panel today, I did the Spinal Tap on Monday and I picked them up today, I got my results myself because every time I go and see my doc. she charges me 300.00 up front! the one I don't understand is on of the IGG SYNTHESIS ones, all of them are good except the serum IGG one, the refernece says its suppose to be between 723-1685mg/dL, and mine is 683mg/dL it was flagged and everything. my RBC was also flagged because it was high. does anyone out there have the same problem, that could possibly help me??? PLEASE HELP, and thank you!!
It sounds like you had a complete workup including a complete blood count, and an immunoglubulin electrophoresis.  You didn't give enough info on it for me to be really sure of my answer.

On the IgG Synthesis - was it your "total IgG" that was 683?  If so, that is only slightly below the range and isn't likely to be a real problem, especially in light of the other values which you say were normal.  Was that value on the spinal fluid or the blood?

How high is your RBC and what was the range?  Also was it the RBC on the spinal fluid or the blood?

(While you're looking at these things, just to help you relax - neither of them would be a flag for MS)

Quix
my RBC the range is suppose to be 0-0/MM3 mine was <1, and on the report is was flagged, and this was for the spinal fluid! the liquid was clear in apperance.
for the MS Panel that was completed, that was also with the spinal fluid, all the results for that was
IGG SYNTHESIS
IGG SYNTH rate I was -2.2 the range is -9.9 - 3.3 mg/24h
CSF IGG INDEX: I was 0.47 the range is <0.66
CSF ALBUMIN: I was 19.2 the range is 8.0 - 42.0 mg/dL
CSF IGG: I was 1.5 the range is 0.8 - 7.7 mg/dL
SERUM IGG:I WAS 683 THE RANGE IS 723-1685 MG/DL
SERUM albumin: i was 4.1 the range is 3.7 - 5.1 g/dL
so the only one that was flagged was the SERUM IGG!!! it says this:
the IgG synthesis rate, CSF and IgG index, CSF are two formulae for estimating that amount of IgG produced in te central nervous system. Evidence of increased synthesis of IgG provides support for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.
Now what I am not understanding is that the Serum was below normal so that means I probable dont have MS, but what else could it be?
thank you so much for helping me!
You have nothing but good news, as far as I can tell.  The high RBC is really simple.  They have to do the spinal tap by puncturing the skin and at least 6 more layers before entering the spinal canal.  We always hope to do it without a lot of bleeding because that messes up, theoretically, the white cell count.  This is because a lot of bleeding carries in white cells that wouldn't normally be in the CSF (cerebrospinal fluid).  You had clear fluid (great!), but there were occasional RBC's (reb blood cells) on microscopic exam - less than 1%.  It's rare to have none at all, because there are tiny blood vessels everywhere.  You had a good, clean tap.  Don't even think about that result again.

The IgG results also look very good, especially in the spinal fluid.  Nothing at all to support MS.  This doesn't rule out MS, because 30% or so of people with MS have normal fluid.

The very slightly low IgG level in the serum likely means nothing at all.  The range given is for roughly 80% of the normal population.  That means 20% or so  of NORMAL people will have a bit less or a bit more than the "normal" range.  What the IgG level is - is a measure of total amount of IgG antibodies circulating at that minute in your CSF.  This is the long term antibodies to everything you've ever been exposed to in your life, just about.  If the number was VERY low then there would be a concern about your ability to have an antibody response to things like infections, but it is not.

If I were looking at the numbers you gave me I would disregard this entirely and without a worry.  With some exceptions lab numbers merely help with what the doctor is looking at overall.

Does this help ease your mind?  Quix
I thank you very much for your in-depth anaylisis of my test results, you have cleared up a lot of my questions! I still have not found out what is wrong with me, but I can hopefully lay having MS down to rest. again I thank you very very much,
Dawn :)