Neurology Community
double crush & stenosis-advice

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

double crush & stenosis-advice

My neurologist said I have double crush syndrome. I have C5-6-7 bi-lateral radiculopathy and carpal tunnel. For over 2 months now my hands have been constantly tingly and loss of feeling. below is my mri of cervical spine results:

c4-5:mild circumferential end plate spurring & moderate broad based disc bulging effacing the ventral thecal sac narrowing ap diameter to 9.5mm compatible with mild stenosis.

c5-6(5&6):decrease in the ap diameter vetebral bodies, narrowing of the c5-6 intevertebral disc space-compatible with partial congenital fusion.

c6-7:mild circumferential end plate spurring & moderate broad based disc bulging effacing the ventral thecal sac narrowing ap diameter to 10.0mm compatible with borderline stenosis.

mild kyphosis of c4-c7, which may be secondary to congenital fusion of c5 and c6 vertebra or secondary to muscle spasm

Given the mri and the new development of carpal tunnel with the hand tingling on both hands that started together over 2 months ago my neurologist has referred me to a neurosurgeon. My neurologist said if I had 1 part bad I would be fixed already but I am diffuse with so much bad he is not sure this neruosurgoen will be able to help me. What options do I have given the mri and new developments?
I'm not a professional, if that's the kind of input you're looking for, I'm just a patient like your self with a history neck problems and neck surgery.

CTS is very common among people with neck problems, I assuming you had an EMG. The Neurologist was not able to differentiate between Cervical radiculopathy and CTS when he was doing the test on your arm?

The other thing is you need to look at the symptoms of C5,C6 and C7 radiculopathy, and compare your symptoms. Tingling in the hand is just one symptom, if you have any of these radiculopathies you should be experiencing neck, scapular, shoulder and arm pain. And there are specific muscles that these nerves supply, there are reflex tests that can be done as well to determine if there's a problem at one of these levels.

And if there's still doubt as to the source, CT release is a very simple procedure, it doesn't get any easier surgery wise. Cervical fusions and laminectomies are a very big deal, and best to be avoided unless absolutely necessary, this I can tell you from personal experience. You don't need a Neurosurgeon to do a CT release.

My understanding of double crush syndrome is that correction of the problem at one site alone is more likely to result in lingering or persistent symptoms, but logically wouldn't you attempt the easiest surgery 1st? You wouldn't just give up, would you?