Neurology Community
drooping shoulder

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

drooping shoulder

I underwent a first rib resection 4 months ago, in an effort to try and deal with effort induced thombosis of my right sub-clavian vein. Since the operation, my right shoulder has been weakened.  Saw a local nurologist who suggests one muscle 'scapular'? not getting a signal, and the latisimus dorsi partly disrupted.  weakness is really more with my arm extended forward, however.  shoulder droop is maybe 2 centimetres now.
Prognosis?  Should I be insisting on an MRI?  is there surgical opportunity to try and resotre the lost nerve function?  How long does atrophy take to fully present?

thanks for any advise you might be able to offer.
Hello.

It is possible that the nerve supplying the muscle to the scapula have been injured during the surgery. The improvement will depend upon the extent of the damage.

You can as well have an MRI to rule out any other cause for the drop. Surgery may not be required to restore the lost function. Te muscle may atrophy in a few weeks to over a few months, depending upon the extent of nerve damage. You can continue with physical therapy to keep the muscles toned up.

Regards