Neurology Community
dull sharp pain in the head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

dull sharp pain in the head

WAS WONDERING WHAT CAUSES DULL SHARP PAIN..MOSTLY ON THE LEFT SIDE BUT SOMETIMES BE ALL OVER..IT'S NOT EXCRUCIATING..IT'S ANNOYING. I DON'T HAVE MAJOR ISSUES..I AM ABLE TO SLEEP COMFORTABLY AND DO MY REGULAR ACTIVITIE WANT TO MAKE SURE THIS IS NOT TOO SERIOUS...THANKS IN ADVANCE
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. Occasional dull, sharp head pains could be normal headaches. However, when pain worsens or affects vision or mental alertness, a slow-growing tumor should be considered. Head pain from brain tumors is often described as deep, steady, aching, or dull, but rarely cause throbbing headaches. The sudden development of sharp intense head pain with no previous history of headaches increases the possibility of a brain tumor. If head pains do not resolve with over-the-counter medications, it might be best to see a neurologist for evaluation. In this case, neuroimaging procedures like CT scan or MRI may be necessary to rule out brain lesions. Hope this helps.
THANK YOU FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE, DR. MIGUEL.  I HAVE GONE TO SEE THE DOCTOR LIKE MAYBE 2 MTHS. AGO AND SHE TOLD ME THAT THE SYMPTOMS THAT I HAD, THAT I REALLY DIDN'T NEED A CT SCAN.  SAID IT COULD BE CLUSTER OR TENSION HEADACHE.  I WOULD RATE MY PAIN LIKE MAYBE 4..SHE CHECKED MY EYE, BALANCE, AND HAD ME WALK..MY SPEAKING IS FINE TOO.  ALSO, MY NECK AND LOWER BACK ACCOMPANY THE HEAD PAIN..THE PAIN LEFT AND IT STARTED AGAIN LIKE 3-4 DAYS AGO.

SO WITH ALL THAT SAID, COULD I RULE OUT BRAIN TUMOR?  I DON'T HAVE FAMILY HISTORY OF BRAIN TUMORS....ALSO IT'S DIFFERENT SPOTS OF MY HEAD WHEN I FEEL IT BUT FEEL IT MORE ON THE LEFT.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. Hi. Thank you for verifying the question. Cluster headaches are bouts of frequent headaches that may last from weeks to months, usually followed by remission. The exact cause of cluster headaches is unknown but other factors such as hormones and neurotransmitters were thought to be involved in the development of cluster headaches. Unlike migraine and tension headache, cluster headaches are generally not triggered by foods, hormonal changes or stress. But once a cluster period begins, consumption of alcoholic drinks and intake of antihypertensive medications (e.g. nitroglycerin) can quickly trigger a splitting headache. Cluster headaches often strike quickly, without a warning. Some patients may complain of one-sided pain, excessive tearing and redness on the affected side, drooping eyelid and restlessness during attacks.  

On the other hand, 'classic' brain tumor headaches are described as early morning pain with dull and aching quality, accompanied by nausea or vomiting, and aggravated by body position. Although these symptoms are often observed in 8% of cases, brain imaging procedures are still recommended to rule out other causes of headache. It is rare for brain tumors to run in families. Nonetheless, if symptoms fail to respond to conventional therapy, a high index of suspicion for a neurologic emergency is warranted. You are always free to ask for a second opinion, most especially if symptoms fail to resolve with present management. Hope this helps.