Neurology Community
dysphagia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

dysphagia

For the past three weeks I have been feeling like I am choking, like there is something always in my throat.  I have a normal endoscopy and the doctor says it is dysphagia.  I am at a point where I am having trouble eating anything even protein drinks and ensure.  I am STARVING and I cannot afford to lose any more weight.  I am waiting on my doctor for the next round of test but it is getting worse.  I constantly feel like I am choking and I am so hungry and tired!  I don't know what to do for nutrition....please help!!!!
   Yes it would all depend on what the cause of the dysphagia is as to what the follow up would be. Some conditions can actively impair a person's ability to swallow. Other conditions can create a sensation that would do the same but there isn't any direct physical impact on the area.
   I have advanced dysphagia to the point where I have trouble swallowing, eating and cannot speak to the point where I require a t t y to communicate. However they had to diagnose the cause first. In my situation I learned more about what an appropriate diet for dysphagia was and followed up with a neurologist who is a movement disorders specialist. Howeve since before it was treated I could always drink Ensure (important because I lost  a fair amount of weight) and eat some soft foods if it had advanced further i would have required further assistance.
  Speak to your doctor directly and inform him about what is happening. If you cannot swallow basic food and liquids and are losing weight and the dysphagia is worsening they might for a temporary period of time set up a feeding tube or follow up with what could be happening in a hospital setting but your doctor would be able to advise you best. Also dependent on what the cause is a specialist in the area might be better able to assist.