Neurology Expert Forum
ear throbbing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ear throbbing

I have been having this throbbing in both my ears, sounds like a faint heartbeat.  Not everyday but maybe a couple times over a week. Feels like my ear is clogging up like when u in an earplane then i hear it. I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis some eight years ago. Is this realated or something else?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Just some quick information on multiple sclerosis. It is a disease that primarily affects the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord, nerves from the eye, the optic nerves). Symptoms may be mild to severe, ranging from tingling and numbness to paralysis. There is not one test alone or one symptom that can diagnose MS, but there are well-established criteria that help neurologists make the diagnosis. These include taking a thorough history, doing a thorough physical exam, conducting an MRI of the brain and sometimes the spine, and sometimes ancillary testing such as lumbar puncture and evoked potentials. If an MRI of the brain and spine is normal, the diagnosis of MS becomes highly unlikely.

Having throbbing in bilateral ears that sounds like a faint heartbeat may be a condition called pulsatile tinnitus. Have you checked your heart rate and/or respiration rate to see if it corresponds with this throbbing sensation? Pulsatile tinnitus has several causes that may include a vascular abnormality such as from an arterio-venous shunt, an arterial bruit like from carotid stenosis, or it can be a mechanical problem such as a spasm of the muscles in your mouth or in your ear.

Also, if your ear feels full like you are on an airplane, you may have a disorder of the eustachian tube itself. Common causes are allergies and colds. Other findings with this include dull hearing and possibly pain. It may occur when riding in elevators, going up a mountain in a car, etc.

I recommend that you follow up with your primary care physician to have your ears evaluated. If the problem persists, you may need to see an audiologist or an ear, nose, throat physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Your information was very valuable....My Ms diagnosis was done via MRI, evoked potential and yes a series of complications mostly with my eye over the years (optic neuritis). Okay so you mentioned my heart rate and pulse, and actually i have been having actual heart palpitations with short breath feelings when i get it over the same period with ear throbbing.  Thank you so muc your info was useful and i will check it out