eeg done on 21 month old for absence seizures
How do they do an EEG on a 21-month-old? And how long does it take? What should I expect when going to this? They think my son may be having absence seizures. Thank you for any advice.
Are they doing a short eeg or 24 hour?

If they are just doing it in the office ... I think the whole thing takes about an hour or so.
If they suspect absence, I am sure that they will a strobe test or maybe a hyperventilation test.

My child has had several eegs. In the event they tell you the eeg is normal and not absense, know that it does not rule out seizures. When it comes to absense seizures, those and complex partial seizures are often confused. They look very different on an eeg though.
Complex partials are often times not seen on eegs and require multiple eegs to pick them up.
A cp seizure can look very simular to an absense in that they both involve staring. CPs are typically longer though and you see more confusion and sometimes motor issues as well as odd behaviors such as chewing, fumbling with fingers and so on.