Neurology Community
electric shock sensation in upper left thigh, front

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have recently been experiencing sudden sharp almost electric shock like sensations on my upper left thigh (front of thigh).  The pain is sudden and only lasts 1 to 4 seconds, but occurs several times a day.  I have a vericose vein above my left knee (from  my second pregnancy, baby is 12 months old) could the two be related?  Since giving birth to my son in early 2009 I have experienced numbness and tingling in my feet and hands and was told by a neurologist after 2 MRI's that I do not have MS, but I do have a brain "abnormality".  I am physcally fit (not over weight) and run 5 days a week 2 to 5 miles a day and I am starting to train for a half marathon, could the running be the cause of my symptoms?  Not sure if I should call my neurologist with my new symptom?  Any advice would be great.

Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. Your symptoms appear to be due to restless leg syndrome, which can be seen secondarily in pregnancy, varicose veins, diabetes obesity. This is seen in pregnant females during the last trimester. you need to consult a physician for detailed assessment, blood flow in the legs need to be checked since you have varicose veins and it is a risk factor for RLS. Try to get some good sleep, warm and cold baths. Medications like requip are prescribed if the diagnosis is confirmed. Hope this helps. Wishing you all the best.