Neurology Community
electric shock sensations

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

electric shock sensations

I have been having theses sensations since November 2006.  The electric shock is in my head and neck. Sometimes I have 1 and sometimes they come in waves of up to 10. I "hear" like a zap sound.  Everytime I go to a doctor, they look at me like I am crazy.  I have felt the ground move under my feet at times. My vision gets weird, I get disoriented and somewhat confused. If I have 1-3, I can cope. If I get them in waves, I get completely exhausted. I find it hard to speak and look around. All I want to do is drink water, cry, and go to sleep. Laying down is the only thing that makes them stop, because that is the ONLY time they will not occur.  I have been checked for MS through 2 MRI's with neg results. First neuro diagnosed me with migraines.  I recently saw another neuro and asked for EEG and he stated not needed.  He diagnosed me as "sensitive nerves and nothing he can do".  My PCP told me last week that I need to see a psychiatrist.  Last PCP told me I was having ocular migraines. I know that there is something very wrong.  I am desperate to find someone who is suffering from the same symptoms and has gotten an answer that makes sense.  I feel so isolated and alone.  I cannot participate in family activities, clean my house, nothing..without these "episodes" as I call them.  My kids lovingly refer to them as "the fuzzies"!!

If someone out there has these SHOCKS IN THE HEAD AND NECK, please let me know!!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You should not lose hope and rather go for the diagnosis of your disease. The confused diagnosis by all the doctors is making you lose hope. The best thing is you do not have MS, your MRIs are clean. You should go to a good multi facility and be under the treatment of a reputed Neurologist who has experience in Migraines also a good Psychiatrist for counselling and diagnosis. take care!
Yes Carrie I am going thru them now never had them in my life before and it is very scary and it's very hard to explain to people...They thought it may be from a pinched nerve I have been in physical therapy and it had seemed to ease up with that and my muscle relaxers but now today I got one so I got a bit surprised and not happy.
I've had problems where I get "electric shock feelings" through my body. It's been going on for a few years now. I used to ignore them thinking they would go away and they did for a while. Then all of a sudden they came back. When I went to a neurologist he perscribed Lyrica to me. That still didn't help so I researched and found out that I might have L'Hermittes. I get the shock feelings through my fingers/toes and arms/legs only when I tried to go to sleep.sometimes it feeling as though I can control them just by relaxing.

~SJS21
I got this electric shock feeling from my feet going up to my head and it only lasts for a few seconds but sometimes it happens over and over again. I feel very weak after this happens to me. Sometimes this happens with eye movement and when somebody touches,tickles or shocks me. Sometimes I get paralyzed for a few seconds. My doctor had no explanation for this and he looked at me as if I were making it up. He diagnosed my sickness as Conversion Disorder but I knew it was not because the symptoms were different. February 4,2011, I was confined in the hospital because I could not walk properly anymore. February 27,2011 it happened again but it became worse than before. Now, March 1,2011, I could not walk properly again...
After reading all these comments, I just realized that I'm the only one that cannot walk properly...I'm just fourteen years old and I still need to fulfill my dreams but how can I fulfill my dreams if I cannot walk properly?
I'll just pray to the Lord that He will give me back my strength.