Neurology Community
electrical shocks in my left calf

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

electrical shocks in my left calf

Last June I extended my workout schedule. I was lifting weights 3 days a week and riding the bike for 10 miles a day. When I retired {58 yrs old} I continued my weight lifting and my 10 mile stationary bke riding. However I added 5 miles of walking. After a few months of doing this suddenly from nowhere as I was walking I go a severe pain in my left calf. It actually brought me down to to knee. It was if an electrical shock passed through my leg. I came home and put ice on it but that only made it worse. It was not cramping but it may have been spasming. I went and saw an orthopedic doctor who ordered an ultra sound. Nothng appeared. He then ordered an MRI. Nothng appeared. He then sent me to a vascular lab to have some tests done. Nothing showed. Because these spasms or whatever they are were sporadic I just decided to see if it would improve on its own. There is no warning or pattern to these intense sudden pains I am getting in my left calf only. I though it might be because I was not hyradated enough so I started drinking much more water and G2 which is a Gatorade drink which replenishes electrolytes. That did not seem to help. Over the Memorial Day weekend I got another pretty intense episode. No matter how many times I rubbed my calf, it would subside for a few minutes and then return. Again it was more like an electrical charge in my calf than a cramp. It still could be spasming but because I have never exoerienced a muscle spasming before I am not sure that is what it is. Because it seemed as if most of the episodes always occurred after I would finish my walk, seldom when I was riding the bike, I decided to stop the walking and see what happens. So what I did was to take off Sunday and Monday from any activity. No episodes. So Tuesday I started riding the bke again because as I mentioned I seldom got any episodes from riding the bke, I broke it up into three routines. 6 miles early in the morning. 5 miles later on in the afternoon. And then 5 more miles later in the evening. These are all done on the stationary bike. So I did my workouts on Tues. Wed. Thurs and Fri. and as of now no episodes.However on Friday eveing I noticed that I began developing twitching in my left calf only. I woke up Sat morning and I noticed the twitching has continued. They are short sublte type twitchings in my left calf. Can you give my any explanation as to what may be occurring . Thank you
Hi, Thank you for your question. Burning sensation, numbness or tingling sensation (as electric shock) in any part of body is considered nerve related in origin. This burning sensation you are having can occur due to impingement, irritation or compression of nerve of leg or thigh. Most frequently involved nerve is lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh (which is branch of femoral nerve). This condition is called meralgia paraesthetica which manifests itself as pain, tingling or burning sensation of outer thigh. It may occur due to injury to nerve either due to spinal deformity or along its path to thigh by any ligament or tendon stretch, excessive tight clothing (therefore it is also called "jeans disease"), diabetic neuropathy or damage to nerve after surgery etc. Another nerve which may cause pain in legs is sciatic nerve compression. I would advice a CT scan of spine and thigh, blood sugar levels, and EMG to check out abnormal muscle responses.  Hope this helps.