Neurology Community
electrocuting brain?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

electrocuting brain?

I have had migraines for as long as I can remember. My mom would take me out of school to take me to the doctor for MRIs and Catscans as a child. I never got any real treatment that I know of. I also had issues with "growing pains" in my legs that has never gone away.
I am now 27 and for the past couple of years I have been having what feels like electrical zaps in my brain as I am falling asleep. They are very real, but not real. They are usually loud electrical noises as if a giant bug landed on a bug zapper and just sat there frying for a minute. Sometimes it's extremely loud thunder that I swear I can feel rumbling. Sometimes I wake up thinking someone is banging on the door. I see a bright flash of light that hurts my eyes(keep in mind, it's quiet and dark...) My heart races, my breathing speeds up, and I am terrified I'm going into some kind of seizure or something.
My oldest son has epilepsy, but he's the only person I know with it, so it's not like it runs in the family or anything.

What is going on, am I crazy????

This discussion is related to zapping sensation in brain.
Hi!
Since you awaken from sleep possibility of low blood sugar, low blood pressure and alcohol withdrawal (if you drink) should be looked into. Otherwise it could be sleep seizures usually due to focal epilepsy. Sleep apnea and benign intracranial hypertension are the other possibilities. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I use to have the same zapping sensation, between the top of my skull to the brain and it felt and sounded like a gas clicker going of in my head. I'm now 33 and haven't had any for years. The one time I walked into emergency to get  myself checked out. The nurse  spoke to me like I was crazy!!! Is this condition life threatening? Or altering ?