Neurology Community
essential tremor and weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

essential tremor and weakness

I have been diagnosed with essential tremor after having an mri and bloodwork. The tremor gets somewhat better then worse again but i'm very weak in my hands and have been weak in my legs. I can handle the shaking better than the weakness. My arms hurt from my wrists to my elbows kinda like a tense knashing feeling. Does anyone have weakness with essential tremor or have any ideas?
Hello.

Essential tremors would not have weakness. You must think of some other causes for the tremors.

Can you describe your tremors here? Essential tremors are usually around 7 - 8 Hz. There is usually a family history of essential tremors.

Since how long are you having the tremors? And did the weakness start with it?

Regards
I've been feeling weak for a few years now and it was most noticeable in my legs, but i had been on a medicine called klonipin (klonopin) for about six months for sleep and anxiety. When i quit taking the medication i had a little withdrawl (withdrawal) from it and one of the symptoms was called jelly legs. That's what it felt like, like my legs were wobbly and not strong. The doctor said there was a possiblility i had parkinsons but told me that there was no test for it and i would have to be monitored. The tremor in my hands is more noticeable when i'm typing or doing something with my hands but when i'm not jerky i'm not as weak at the same time. I have had the tremors for about 4 or 5 months now. I have been through a lot emotionally in the last couple of years and i felt like i had maybe had some kind of nervous breakdown and thought the shaking might go away but so far it comes and goes. thanks
Hello.

There is a new test developed by researchers ( Dr Rubio and associates) in Australia, specifically designed to screen for Parkinson's disease. It is a genetic test and screens a number of genes for Parkinson's disease.

There is also a good evidence of association between Parkinson's disease and Essential tremors. Essential Tremor is considered to be a risk factor for Parkinson's disease.

More importantly, the tremors of Parkinson's disease and Essential tremors can be differentiated on examination. As I mentioned earlier, if you could somehow measure the number of movements of the hands/fingers per second, you will get a fair idea.

Parkinson's disease tremors are around 4 Hz.

Regards
I appreciate your help. Today my pinky fingers on both hands are what's really noticable unless i'm typing then my right hand index finger jerks. My tremors would be probably faster than 4hz if i understand what that means. I've used frequency generators before and watched a speaker move at different frequencies so i'd say my tremor is between 10-20 hz. I think i need to seek another opinion because i feel really bad all over most of the time but on some days i feel much stronger and don't jerk hardly at all. I had a little problem with my blood pressure the other day and didn't know it was that high and the doctor had prescibed me metropolil for my tremor already. The neurologist wanted me to take inderal but my regular doctor said this was a newer beta blocker with less side effects. At this point i'd take anything. I drank a little wine last night to see if this would help. It made my mood a little better and may have calmed me a bit but i can't drink all day just to feel a little better. Thanks again.
Hi I've just been told I have essential tremor.... It affects my right arm and leg but to me it's resting tremor because as soon as I hold something or I'm doing stuff it goes away..... I also have very sore and weak legs, my spine hurts and I swear I have a little memory loss.... My neurologist said essential tremor shouldn't cause muscle weaknesses... Is that true?????...... I'm having MRI on the 3rd of April just to rule out ms and other things.... I also get numb fingertips and shooting pain on right side of body just arm and leg.... Get very tired like to the point I feel like I've dug up big holes all day.... Does it sound like essential tremor??
Oh I forgot to mention that I have no family history of essential tremor....
Have you had your vitamin D level checked? I had muscle weakness for quite some time, and after resting and taking prescription vitamin D, I feel much better.
You are very right. It is a simple solution and it really works. A blood test  for Vit D can be done in your dr's office. You should get Vit B test as well. If you deal with tiredness and fatigue get your iron tested. I was deficient in all of these.