Neurology Community
every time i have a seizure from cannabis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I used to smoke cannabis from the age of 13 to 16. In this time it was great and fantastic. When I was 16 I was severely depressed and became a little "distant" from the world as I think i must of went mad, but thats just my thoughts to lighten my memory's of that time. This was when I had some again and this time I had a seizure. I have since then worked out that I can have about five drags of a spliff and then ill be high. I know this sounds really bad but I miss the feeling of cannabis. Every time I have some though, even if ive only had a few, I get that same feeling like I did when I had a seizure and once or twice I think ive had another one. What my question is before anyone tells me to just stop smoking it for I know this myself, did my severe depression alter the way my mind works and that is why I can not smoke it any more without having some kind of allergic reaction?I am now 22 and over my severe depression and really happy. any thoughts ?

Well, I think you could get around all this by visiting a doctor who is expert in seizures, a neurologist for example, and get some medication going to prevent those from happening, nevermind the trigger.  It is not good to have a lot of seizures, as this can sometimes damage the brain.  I do not know why marijuana is doing this to you, but diff people get diff reactions to the stuff.  I cannot smoke it because I would get paranoid, a common reaction with people who smoke pot, so I had to quit.  In the beginning, it was sooooo soothing and funny and pleasant, and a lot of my terminology is still with me from those hippie days.  

I do want to say something about the depression you experienced.  It can happen from several causes, with one being various intense personal experiences, and another being just plain old adolescent hormones jacking up your sense of well-being.  In this vein, it IS possible that since you have now matured, your body is fully developed, altho your brain still has a little ways to go, that you and marijuana can no longer be friends.  However, if perhaps you do get antiseizure drugs going, and you give smoking another shot, the medicine may prevent you from having the seizure!  As I said, that's one way around it.  But for all I know, smoking and seizure meds don't mix, which I'm sure you will find out.  So, could very well be, this is your swan song with marijuana, and I'm sorry.  But could be you're heading towards being epileptic, and the smoke is triggering it, and ain't nothing you can do about it.  So, find something else you like to do, there are plenty of lifestyles out there, you can become a movie star, for heavens sake, so it's not like your whole world is ruined!  Best of luck, kid.  
its not like i smoke it all the time, and since the first time I think i have smoked it four times since then...all in all three times its happened. yea its not good i know. I know that people can develop allergies to things so maybe its kinda the same thing. I just kinda wanted an answer or something like that, which wasnt along the lines of, your smoking too much or im just being parrarnoid, lol I know what paranoid is like when smoking it. Thanks for your insight and your thoughtful answer.

I found somethign else I like to do, just a shame I cant get rid of these strong  cravings....maybe chocolate will do instead lol