Neurology Expert Forum
extreme back pain-would MRI show nerve damage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

After a car crash over a year ago, I have been stuck sitting in a tempurpedic chair. I can't stand or walk very well, and sitting in a normal chair is excuriating. The chair tilts me at a 45 degree angle putting mu feet level with my head. I have seen three docotrs. Bulging disc in l5,l6 but mild.

My feet alternate between burning ,stinging, and ice cold. I always have a sharp stabbing pain in the right glut area. I have wasted away from pain reducing my ability to eat and pain reducing my ability to move. I bought a russian stim unit. My muscles are rebuilding. I can't raise my leg higher than about 30% when flat or it hurts.

Every time I go to a doctor ,I'm nauseated from sitting the chair waiting, and I am not in the mood to be twisted around, although they do it every time. Then  I get pain meds. I have cut them back myself, don't want to be hooked on anything. They suggested methodine, but I don't want to try that either,

I do stretches with a yellow band, flex my feet while sitting, and try to get better. Big problem, after a docotr puts me through the the tests to see what I can do, i hurt so bad for six or seven days , I am refusing to go anymore. I don't understand what they don't get. I hurt to just sit, yet alone move.

I have had two MRI's would they have shown  nerve root damage? I seem to have all the signs of a syndrome I read about, except  I have no urinary or bowel problems, but I have everything else.
MRI may not show evidence of nerve root damage, especially of mild degrees. It will show nerve root avulsion (complete seperation of the nerve root from the spinal cord) and there is a classic MRI signs of this called pseudomeningocoeles. Complete avulsion of spinal roots is also identifiable clinically and by EMG where there is complete loss of muscle function but preservation of sensory nerve conduction responses (as the sensory loop that this tests is outside the root and spinal cord).

I'm not sure what syndrome you are referring to. Symptoms of a spinal cord syndrome are spacticity in the limbs (Stiff, spasming muscles) and loss of bladder control, sensory loss, and sometimes autonomic nerve dyscontrol that affects temperature, sweating, and sometimes heart rate.

If you had been immobile for a long time from the accident (weeks to months) there can be a syndrome of 'critical illness polyneuropathy' and disuse muscle wasting/weakness, along with all the other problems with inactivity like contractures etc. Slow recovery with nutrition and exercise is the usual course.

Good luck
What type of doctors have you seen ?? I had pinched nerve symptoms of a severe nature and after a course of physical therapy and then two transforaminal ESIs I finally saw a neurosurgeon. The films done in his office (standing in both flexion and extension positions) told the story and I had an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion with Pyrimid Plating. Very successful with no residual pain. I had nothing for pain after surgey and was walking the halls the same evening of the day of surgery.There has to be an answer to your problem .... keep looking
An MRI won't show nerve damage. Only if the nerve is being compromised by disc herniations/bulges. You should talk to your doc about getting an EMG done. That will show pinching of the nerves and exactly where in the body they are pinched. Good Luck
If you can go thru another MRI try to find one of the newer ones where you can stand (you can sit too and other positions).  They say it can make a real difference getting one standing, show up things that won't show when you are lying down.
A related discussion, nerve damage was started.