Neurology Community
extreme cold intolerance

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

extreme cold intolerance

What else could be the underlying problem?  My thyroid studies are WNL.  I have had an MRI, normal pituitary.  Growth hormone was low, but glucagon/propranolol test WNL.  Echocardiogram WNL.  I am cold all the time.  I sleep at night under an electric blanket.  During the day, I can put on layer upon layer and still be cold.  I am 36 and in general good health; a little overweight (5'5" 160lbs).  Cycles are WNL, using Nuva Ring.  This condition has been going on for almost 2 years.  I am also dealing with fatigue.  My back and neck are sore all the time because of how I sit or stand when the chills hit.  Sometimes I get so cold it almost hurts.  
Hello.

Have you checked if you have anemia? If you have done a blood work, it should mention Hemoglobin level. Please check if they are normal. Anemia is one of the frequent causes of cold intolerance.

Another condition to be considered is the Raynaud's disease. Please discuss the possibilities of these two conditions with your treating physician.

Regards
No anemia, no raynaud's.  Coldness seems to be in the core.  Any other suggestions?
Hello.

Some other causes of cold intolerance are adrenal insufficiency, low blood pressure and anorexia. Do you feel you could be having one of these?

Do you have any fever associated with chills?

Regards
I've had the same problem for the past 10 years. All test are normal. I have gone to several physicians. It is affecting the quality of my health greatly.
I'm a 55 year old male with same exact situation. Cold pierces like a knife and I live in south Florida! Anything below 75 degrees is a challenge. All labs normal for thyroid. I think it's got to be adrenal burn out??? anyone have any insights??

pls. respond to ***@****
Hi, just noticed your problem.... my daughter had similar symptoms, couldn't get warm enough, nearly blacked out upon standing, all the time,and when I got her to our doctor, she had very low BP and low glucose, and Dr straight away thought it was Addisons Disease. After running tests, sure enough.. it WAS!
We both have Hasimoto's (Hypothyroidism), but where I have piled on the weight, she was dropping it drastically. After going on the treatment, she has gaibed a healthy amount of weight, doesn't get cold anymore, etc.
Hope you find an answer to your problem soon.
Kind regards,
Turyza
I have similar cold intolerance. These days it is summer out side temp is 82. But I sleep with room heater at 80 degree. I have been suffering for 5 years. I have seen many doctors. I have tried may treatments. All my blood tests are normal.
Any suggestion.
See if you can get tested for cryofibrinogen.  It causes the blood to coagulate at high temperatures and resulting symptoms. . Unfortunately, most labs do not do the test correctly and you are told you do not have it (false positive).  Even the Mayo clinic does not do it correctly even though they describe how to do it correctly.  The only place I know to get it done is John Hopkins. No one does a quantitative test which would determine the amount of cryo in the blood. All you get is positive or negative and if the process isn't done correctly, you are told you do not have it.  

I am also wondering about autoimmune diseases and cold problems.  I think there is a connection.