Neurology Community
extreme muscle atrophy of my right hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

extreme muscle atrophy of my right hand

have been to over 5 doctors to find out what has caused extreme muscle atrophy of my right hand . It affects my forefinger and little finger .  I have no grip.  And I have no pain . I have had 3 MRI 's: Brain , Neck , and wrist . I've had 4 EMG nerve conduction tests. Other than a little arthritis in my shoulder , inconclusive. I can't straighten my forefinger, nor move it back and forth. I can't even turn the key to my car on. This started last year. I am 30 years old, and have always been in good health.  
Hi gori_99,

I'm starting to get similar problems myself - I'm 29.

Initially I had a subjective feeling of weakness which slowly got more and more serious... then I started to get actual weakness I could measure and notice in my day to day life, and now my right hand has begun to atrophy - mainly visible in the muscles of my palm - dents and grooves where there used to be muscle, including half of the muscle below my thumb gone...a groove developping along the opposite side from that muscle...

The weakness is now feels like its progressing up into my right arm and it's hard to keep my right shoulder from drooping... my right hand is steadily becoming harder to use at all - since the muscles left unwasted get so sore from bearing the brunt of any attempted movement - its to the point where if i want to use a computer mouse in my right hand i need to click with my pinky.

Opening tight jars and packets - forget about it.

I've seen a neurologist, had various scans and 2 EMGs/NCVs (both apparently normal) even though the neuro was able to measure the Atrophy, Weakness and also Hyper-reflexia on my right side... but with the clear EMG he seems at a loss what to suggest... symptoms are similar to ALS - but with a clear EMG it all just becomes a bit of a puzzle.

I have asked my neuro to arrange a c-spine MRI - i was reading online that some c-spine issues can cause similar problems - I'm having that tomorrow - hopefully that gives me a clue.

My neuro suggested perhaps see a CNS specialist neuro, but I really dont know what to do next... NOWHERE does my insurance list the subspecialties for neurologists... and so i'm bascally reduced to going through my insurance neurologist list calling them and asking what their subspecialty is...

I really dont know what to do, i'm just hoping the c-spine shows something to explain it...  hopefully you got some information since you posted this.