Neurology Community
eyelid, eyebrow, & index finger twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My husband's eyelids, eyebrows, and right index finger twitch almost all the time. Sometimes is only his eyelid, and eyebrows. At first, I did not put much attention to it, because it sometimes goes away for awhile or it happens like 3 times a day but is not that noticeable. Plus now we just got married and I can notice it more. However, in March, I made a video, he was using his new cell phone and his eyelids, eyebrows, & index finger were twitching, while this was happening his eyes moved to the right or left lets say. I do not know if he moves his eyes also involuntarily or just because it bothers him that this involuntary movements are happening. He doesn't like talking about his health problems. He talk me that this started when he was 13 years old and he have not check this health problem since. At first, I thought it was a seizure because his right index finger was moving too, but he was conscious acting normal. I have the video if you wish to see it, so you can tell me what it could be. I am concern about that he did not wanted to see a doctor or neurologist. He told me that this happens more when he is stress.  He is about to graduate. In the video you can see him doing this almost all the time, or all the time in a 30 minute video.

Thank you,

Diana  
Tags: twitching
Muscle twitchings are found in acid-base imbalance in the body, low sodium,calcium and vit D deficiency, Alzheimer’s disease, muscle fasciculation syndrome(a disorder of the nervous system characterized by the uncontrolled twitching (fasciculation) of muscle groups in various parts of the body),Motor neuron disease like ALS, chronic fatigue syndrome, hypoparathyroidism, spinal muscular atrophy or spinal neoplasms and spinocerebellar ataxia.

Please discuss these possibilities with your neurologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Just saw your post and wanted to give you a reply.

I agree with the prior recomendation to discuss the twitching in your husbands eye/eybrows with a neurologist and perhaps best of all one who is a neuro/MDS.

I have seen the conditions you have mentioned while in my neuro/MDS's office and while not a doctor wanted to mention another possibilty often overlooked by primary care doctors ... that is forms of dystonia.  Many primary care doctors are not familiar with the various forms of dystonia from my personal experiences.  I have a form of dystonia in my hand known as musicians dystonia, however there is another form of dystonia called "Blepharospasm" which exhibits the same symptoms you described.  Stress also causes many forms of dystonia to increase the frequency of spasms as you mentioned happens with your husband.

•Blepharospasm is a focal dystonia that affects the muscles of the eyelids and brow

See link below:

http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/pages/blepharospasm/43.php

To hopefully help you before you do online searches, there are differing types of dystonia.  I would recommend trying to find a competent neuro/MDS, they are the type of medical professional who should be able to provide an accurate diagnosis of it is blepharospasm.  To give a simple explanation, many forms of dystonia are merely the brain sending the wrong messages to nerves which in turn causes the spasms to occur.  If it is blepharospasm it can often be treated with Botox injections by a qualified neurologist.  I have received the injections for several years with great success from my neuro and it is all covered by insurance since the injections are being given for a medical condition and not for cosmetic reasons.  

I am 27 years old and facing the anxiety problem from last 4 years.
Now i can control my anxiety by breathing techniques.
But my left eye was twitching from last one month and now my left hand small finger also twitching.
Please advice