Neurology Expert Forum
eyes open whilst sleeping?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

eyes open whilst sleeping?!

My friend observed that whilst I sleep my eyes were open. She noted that waving her hand infront of them didn't cause blinking or flinching of any sort either. She also commented that my normally green eyes had become blue...I am slightly worried and inquisitive to know what could have caused this? Is there any neurological factor involved or perhaps something to do with what I was dreaming?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Incomplete eye closure during sleep is not necessarily pathologic, and can occur in normal people. In some instances, conditions that lead to the eyes being too protruberant can lead to incomplete eye closure, but in that case, protuberant eyes would be noticeable during waking. When only one eye doesn't close at night, a muscle or nerve problem in that eye is a possibility as well. If the eyes are significantly open during sleep, dry eye and injury to the cornea could result, but this is rare. During sleep, the eyes "roll back" into the head, and perhaps that is why their color seems somewhat changed during sleep. If you have any concerns, evaluation by an opthalmologist (eye doctor) is recommended. A neurologic cause is highly unlikely, but if your eye doctor suspects one he/she could suggest referral to a neurologist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Hi Wendy,
I also sleep with my eyes open, and so does my Mom and my older sister. The reason you don't flinch when she waves her hand over your eyes is because you are asleep. I know it looks strange, but unless you are having symptoms, it is just part of who you are...we teased my Mom all the time. She was always a good sport about it.
A related discussion, eyes open and rolled back in head while sleeping was started.