Neurology Community
facial drooping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

facial drooping

I am a 31year old woman. 6 months ago i took a headache and then the right side of my face suddenly 'twisted' or drooped downwards. The headache only lasted a day but my face was drooped for several days. This happened again about a month later and this time a found i was trailing my right leg and arm...they felt heavy and weak. My GP referred me to a neurologoist. In March of this year i took a headache again and as before shortly after the headache started my face drooped. This time however the drooping stayed for over two weeks...some days it was worse than others but it never returned to normal. The headaches would come and go and they were quite severe. I kept trying to get on with day to day life as i have two children and run my own business. After the two weeks while travelling in the car with my sister i suddenly felt unwell, my face completely twisted so much so that i was unable to open my mouth only at the far left corner, i fell over to the right side and lost all power in my right arm and leg. I felt an overwhelming sense of tiredness and could not keep my eyes open. My sister drove me straight to A&E where i was rushed through with a suspected stroke. I was told that i had all the symptoms of stroke but a CT and CT angio returned normal. They said i needed an MRI but was unable to have it as i have a spinal cord stimulator.I was admitted to hospital for three weeks. During this time these episodes kept occuring...the twist in my face would gradually lessen and then i would take a pain inmy head and my face would completely twist again and i would feel the overwhelming tiredness. I was unable to walk or use my right arm for weeks and then had to have lots of physio to get everything working again. I lost 1 stone in weight in a week and i would forget things that people had just told me. I love to read but could not concentrate to even read a newspaper. The dr said that i had a functional blockage and asked if i was stressed. I would definately not say that i was stressed. Since this time i am still taking headaches, it seems to be on the left side of my head and can be extremely severe. Shortly after the headache starts my face droops. The droop can last for hours, days or weeks. The headache only persists at the beginning. I be extremely tired when this happens. I am now taking these as warning signs and completely resting when they occur. If i push myself then the symptoms seem to worsen.
I have a spinal cord stimulator fitted for CRPS. One explanation i was given was that i was pushing my body too far as the stimilator was masking the pain and my body could no longer cope. My consultant who fitted the stimulator disagrees and although he did not see me while i was in hospital thinks that it could be the CRPS but that it is now affecting my central nervous system. My consultant also stated that an MRI would be possible if a shield were used to cover the stimulator.
This is having a huge affect on my life and my business as i could feel fine one day and the next the whole thing starts again and i be so tired that i can barely get up. When i got out of hospital i thought i would just get better but this does not seem to be the case. I am frustrated as i really have not had a satisfactoryt explanation as to what is going on and i just wan t it to stop.
Hi, Thank you for your question.  Your unexplained one sided facial weakness could be due to facial or bell's palsy. This palsy can occur mostly due to unknown reason , after viral infection or during any neurological disorder Please consult your treating neurologist in order to start the treatment at your earliest convinience. Hope this helps.