Neurology Community
facial pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

facial pain

I had a maxillary first molar extracted 8 weeks ago.  I have had continuing problems ever since.  I have seen both my ENT and two oral surgeons.  Initially I had a pea sized hole in my pallate. ??? and the extraction site itself was very slow to heal.  My general dentist commented at 3 weeks post op that the extraction site looked about 3 days old.  Once I did start to heal then my pain really kicked in.  I have had facial swelling ear congestion and drainage down one side of my throat.  I was on PenVK for 10 days, Keflex, then two rounds of Augmenten.  I have had burning up one side of my nose as well.  An MRI did not revaeal a sinus communication, only mild chronic sinusitis, hypertrophy of my turbinates and a slightly deviated septom.  I did have surgery last Spring to correct my deviated septom and reduce my turbinates which was successful.  I finally ended up in the hospital for two days on a pain machine and iv antibiotics.  The oralis treating me as atypical facial pain and has placed me on Neurontin which has helped.  I have read the symptons for atypical facial pain and really don't feel I have this.  I seem to feel better in the am and worse as the day goes on.  I still am experiencing facial swelling and full feeling in my ear and under my chin, in the lymph area.  I am getting desperate to resolve this.  I did NOT have these symptons prior to the tooth extraction.  

Any help you could be would be greatly appreciated.

Jen D
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is due to infection and you should take sufficient antibiotics, anti inflammatory to decrease these symptoms. Do not worry about any major infection or disease as you do not have in your diagnosis. Take care!
I had an extraction that set off severe chronic facial pain and severe chronic  headaches.  Dentist checked everything and nothing could explain it.  I wanted to yank out every tooth with a pair of pliers.  Did some research and asked Dr. if I could have Trigeminal Neuralgia.  He said yes and put me on Tegretol (normally a seizure medication).  Within two days I was 90% pain free.  Check it out and see if this could be what you're dealing with.  Good luck!
Thanks for the comments.  I'm sure hoping it was due to infection and I'm on my way to feeling better.  The Neurontin is helping too.