Neurology Community
facial pain
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

facial pain

I had a maxillary first molar extracted 8 weeks ago.  I have had continuing problems ever since.  I have seen both my ENT and two oral surgeons.  Initially I had a pea sized hole in my pallate. ??? and the extraction site itself was very slow to heal.  My general dentist commented at 3 weeks post op that the extraction site looked about 3 days old.  Once I did start to heal then my pain really kicked in.  I have had facial swelling ear congestion and drainage down one side of my throat.  I was on PenVK for 10 days, Keflex, then two rounds of Augmenten.  I have had burning up one side of my nose as well.  An MRI did not revaeal a sinus communication, only mild chronic sinusitis, hypertrophy of my turbinates and a slightly deviated septom.  I did have surgery last Spring to correct my deviated septom and reduce my turbinates which was successful.  I finally ended up in the hospital for two days on a pain machine and iv antibiotics.  The oralis treating me as atypical facial pain and has placed me on Neurontin which has helped.  I have read the symptons for atypical facial pain and really don't feel I have this.  I seem to feel better in the am and worse as the day goes on.  I still am experiencing facial swelling and full feeling in my ear and under my chin, in the lymph area.  I am getting desperate to resolve this.  I did NOT have these symptons prior to the tooth extraction.  

Any help you could be would be greatly appreciated.

Jen D