Neurology Community
facial ticks

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

facial ticks

My son is 9 years old and for the past 2 years has what I would describe as facial ticks. It is mainly blinking of the eyes, then it progressed to the nose and now the mouth. I took him to the Drs who refered me to the paediatrician who basically said that I should just ignore it!! I am not happy with this diagnosis. My doctor had mentioned benign essential blepherospasm? Whilst at the Paediatrician my son didnt seem to have as much facial movements as normal as he was aware of why he was there and I feel that he was concentrating on not making any movements. It has definately got worse since our appointment. He also suffers (mildly) with Raynauds, he is always the first to feel the cold. I need to know what to do next.
Tags: tick, facial
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

Your son may have what is called as "Tourette's syndrome". It could be a transient phenomenon, or in some cases, may progress to adulthood. The exact can not be ascertained, but it seems to increase with stress. The fault is somewhere in the frontal-subcortical region of the brain. He may be given certain neuroleptic medicines, or Dopamine 2 antagonists, but they have their own side effects.

Watch out for any other symptoms of the syndrome.... like, vocal tics, etc.
A magnesium-rich diet is supposed to help relieve the symptoms.

You may think of consulting a Neurologist.

Regards