Neurology Community
facial tingling and tightness in my face muscles

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, for quite some time since around last summer i have been having tingling in my face around my cheeks, lips and forehead though it tends to move around. Sometimes i have this daily, sometimes a few times a week. My facial muscles also got extremely tight like a spasm which lasts for anything from a few seconds upto a minutes or too. I also get the muscle tightness in the bottom of my right arm and also tingling in my right hand but never in my left hand or arm.
In june of last year i herniated 2 discs (L4-L5 and T10-T11) which means i suffer from back pain, leg weakness, leg pain and foot buzzing from. At this time i was also diagnosed with kyphoscoliosis. I also have very brisk reflex in my lower limbs/joints. Could my herniated discs or kyphoscoliosis cause these issues in my face and arm or would it be something unconnected? I have a consultants appointment next week to discuss my back issues and i'd like to mention the above but if its not really connected i'd speak to my GP instead.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. Your leg symptoms could be attributed to the herniated lumbar discs L4 L5. The exaggerated deep tendon reflexes need to be investigated for Parkinson’s disease or motor neuron disease. The buzzing sensation in the foot, facial tingling, spasm and numbness cannot be related with degenerative disc disease. You need to be investigated in detail for chronic demyelinating disease syndrome known as multiple sclerosis. This electrical sensation or buzzing is similar to  L’hermitte’s sign described in context of multiple sclerosis and are paresthesia including tingling, buzzing, electric shocks etc, triggered by lowering of head so that chin touches the chest.  Apart from clinical neurological examination MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination , two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain location. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap. Take care.

Thank you for the advice, i'll make an appointment to see my GP.
Sam :)