Neurology Community
failed fusion lumbar

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

failed fusion lumbar

i had a 3level fusion l-2 thru l-5  in april 06' and hardware removal and a l-5 & s-1 fusion in sept07' because after the first fusion in 06' i got sacrum pains bad and in the left leg. i found a nerve block dr. before doing them he ordered a ct milogram. dr called me said i did need the sacral joint injection, but ct also showed all 4 level fusions failed. my ? is next now what ? have it refused or just leave it. and if i do will it cause me problems in the future? thanks someone please help me!

Thanks for writing in.
It is important that you discuss this with your operating doctor. In case of failed fusion surgeries usually surgeon recommends another surgery. If the fusion has failed once that does not mean it will fail again.
The choice is between another surgery and conservative management of pain by nerve blocks. Please discuss this with your doctor.
Good luck!
I myself had a double level fusion L4/5 L4/5s1 1996, the Surgeon kept telling me no rehab after 19mths he moved state, still no rehab advised a GP and found out I should have started rehab much earlier,still in pain on mountain loads of pain killers and countless pain clinics later 2011, finally I find out the reason for no rehab, it has been titled "The Surgeon had a surgical moment" during my Op,at level L5/s1 two cages inserted at level L4/5 one cage centred and why, during insertion of the first at that level the surgeon broke the vertabra, so only one cage was inserted at this level.
Still in pain and after strugling to stay at work, I have retired leaving a great job of 11yrs, I have always been against surgury to fix the first fusion, scared i suppose.
I have just started thinking maybe it is time, does anyone have any advise or a Surgeons name, I am having trouble knowing a starting point..
Did you get an answer to your question?