Neurology Expert Forum
fasciculation differentiation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

fasciculation differentiation

Re: Re: Re: Re: fasciculation differentiation

[Search][ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ Archive/FAQ ]

Posted by CCF Neurology MD:NT on December 16, 1998 at 12:42:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: fasciculation differentiation posted by leah on December 12, 1998 at 18:42:44:

:
  : : Fasciculations: I am a 41 year old woman who started experiencing muscle twitiching after parathesias. I have had muscle twitching with no associated weakness, or stiffness for 3 years.The muscle twitchin or fasciculations started in my calf and then bodywide. They occur mostly at rest, rarely during movement. They are more common during periods of stress.My question is does Magnesium help, and do they ever go away.
  What other diseases or illnesses are fasiculations associated with. I did
  see a neurologists, and she said that I needed to relax. I am finding that the fasiculations are of two types, muscle twitching that is barely felt, and then a thumb twitch or a leg twitch that is really noticable. Does a medication like Buspar help with decreasing muscle twitching as it lowers anxiety.
  : : ============================================================================
  : : Dear Carl:
  : : I would like to reinforce the fact that although some differences in the EMG characteristics of "malignant" (ALS) and "benign" fasciculations have been described, overlap is wide, and these differences are NOT clinically useful, and are NOT looked for specifically during a diagnostic EMG examination. Again, these are EMG characteristics, and can not be identified subjectively by the individual, or objectively by the neurologist who does an examination.
  : : There have been very few case reports of ALS developing after a long period of just having isolated fasciculations. This occurence is extremely rare, and may indeed be coincidental. Studies of large series of individuals with isolated fasciculations have clearly shown a very benign or normal outcome.
  : : A neurology consulation and even an EMG examination are usually appropriate in the setting of benign or isolated fasciculations. the most important purpose of this is to reassure the anxious individual by ruling out serious disease.
  : : Good luck!
  : You spoke of "isolated" fasics.  what about those that are occuring all over the body?   as i said, i have them occur in my face, arms, legs, feet, everywhere.  Someitmes they stay in one place for a while, sometimes they move around.  Does this mean that they are not benign????
===========================================================================
"Isolated" means fasciculations without weakness or progressive muscle atrophy. Isolated fasciculations can occur in various muscles and still are most likely benign.