Neurology Community
fetal/infant stroke

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

fetal/infant stroke

My baby had a stroke prior to or at birth that affected her right frontal lobe and right temportal lobe.  At 6 months, she appears to have no outward signs of the stroke.  From what I've read, some of the damage of the stroke may not be seen until later.

Does anyone else have a child like mine?  What did you find over time.

Thanks for writing in.
There are two peaks of developing a stroke infancy and old age. It is a good sign that your baby is not exhibiting any symptoms of stroke. Infant brains are very plastic and learn to compensate for the loss fairly easily.
However you need to watch your child closely for any symptoms like using one side of the body or one limb more than the other.
http://www.ucsfhealth.org/common/pubs/childrensnews/winter2005/stroke/index.html

http://www.lifeclinic.com/fullpage.aspx?prid=511018&type=1

Hope these links are helpful for you.
Hi there,
Our little girl is 2 years and 3 months old and she suffered a stroke around the time of birth which has left her with the right frontal lobe completely damaged. It is just a fluid filled cyst now.
Like your baby, our daughter is still showing no signs of anything wrong but every day I still worry and wonder what will be the matter. I still find it hard to comprehend that a child can have that much of an injury and show no signs of anything wrong.
How is your baby doing? You are the only person I found with a similar case to us.....
Kind Regards
Angela
My son had a stroke in the left basil ganglia. It was estimated that it happened somewhere within 10 days prior to birth. I was told that if an adult were to have the same thing, the complete right side of the body would not be usable. As for my son, he is almost 3 and perfect!  Although we were informed to keep an eye out for his fine motor skills around this age such as cutting with scissors and writing etc.
So far he is showing signs of being left handed but I don't think i'll ever know for sure if it is a result if the stroke since we have quite a few lefty' s in our family.  We were also informed to have him get a new MRI around age 8 just to check up on the stroke. Here's praying every day that he will be ok.
Best of luck to you and your family.
Katie
Olivia08- how is your baby doing? My child also suffered a RTL stroke. She is 6 months and still showing no signs of stroke.
my daughter also had a stroke before she was born.  when she was 4 she had 1 seizure then nothing until she was 13 and started having absentee seizures all the time and has had a few grand mal seizures.  I pray that your children do not have this problem when they get older