Neurology Community
finger twitch?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

finger twitch?

Hey guys, I have noticed this for the past couple of years but haven't dealt with it, because in the back of my mind thought I had parkinson's disease or something. I'm a sort of hypochondriac that thinks I have lots of things. However, tonight while I was holding a piece of paper in my hand with my thumb and middle finger, my middle finger just started twitching uncontrollably. It only happened when I was barely trying to grip it, when I gripped the paper tighter it went away. So over the past couple years to compensate, like if I'm holding paper, I'll just situate it in my hand without gripping it and let it sit there, or I'll grip it tight so it won't twitch. It's really annoying, and it only happens when I'm lightly gripping or holding something.

I can also cause my middle left finger to twitch by lightly pushing my thumb and middle finger together as if I'm holding something.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's also better or worse on certain days. My fingers never twitch when my hands are just sitting still and not doing anything. Also, my fingers alot of times feel really tight or stiff. It also feels like when I'm on my laptop's touchpad with my index finger, I feel as though I never know what my finger is going to do even though it never twitches when I'm using the touchpad.

Please advise, and thank you in advance!

Thanks for writing in.
Your symptom could be due to nerve compression or low calcium. Sometimes excessive use of key pad, anxiety and lack of sleep will cause finger twitch. However it is better to get this checked out to rule out other neurological causes.

I was thinking back about how long I've been experiencing this, and I just remembered how I have had this sensation on the toes on my left foot before, and within weeks it went away. It's almost like it comes and goes. I should also mention that my hands and feet seem to be cold and clammy a lot of the time. It's been this way most of my life, I don't know if I have poor circulation or what.

When my finger twitch is worst, it feels like my fingers feel weaker than normal, and this is also how my toes felt when I experienced it on my left foot. It's just weird how in a week or so it goes away for a while and the strength is back to normal and twitching is not as bad and not even noticeable.

Could these symptoms be related to peripheral neuropathy?

Yes peripheral neuropathy is a possibility. One thought that comes to mind is thyroid dysfunction causing these symptoms because this condition can cause both cold clammy skin and peripheral neuropathy.
It may be worthwhile to get this checked. Good luck!