Neurology Expert Forum
finger twitches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

finger twitches

Help,
    I am so nervous. Lately I've developed twitches in the fingers of my left hand. They come sporadically and effect any one of the five fingers at any given time. I also can feel the twitch feeling in parts of my forearm as well as my wrist area and the fleshy part of the hand. They tend to come often when my hand is resting. I have in the past had a serious twitch in my eyelid and I also presintly feel twitches in my lower left leg. I have no loss of strength and I don't feel any loss of movement or flexibility. I am so worried that this can be something serious it is driving me crazy. I am a 28 year old male and very stressed. Please-anybody email me with some help. Thank you.  Oh and the twitches in the fingers also can make the finger either bend and the joint (not fully) or can cause the finger to move side to side.(vertical and horizontal movements) The pulse rate of twitches can come singularly or with several twitches.

There are several causes of things that people describe as "twitches" - Take heart in the fact that you are healthy and have no other symptoms.  You mentioned twitching in the eyelid - perhpaps these twitches are something called "myokymia" which is quite common in young individual especially with stress, caffeine, etc.  Fasciculations, a common subject in the forum, are seen in many disorders and can appear without other problems in a syndrome called "Benign Fasciculation and Cramps" (search the archive function of the forum for more about these).  These usually are not enough to make the fingers jump as you describe so other movements might be a possibility like tremor (which it does not sound like; tremor is usually rhythmic) or myoclonus.  Essentially, a good evaluation by a neurologist who can observe these movements is important to characterize these twitches further.

A related discussion, Twitching in left hand with numbness was started.