foot vibration
Not sure where to post this. A few days ago I had a sensation of the floor vibrating under one foot. Since then I have realized it is my foot. It is felt in bloth feet, one at a time. Never both at the same time. I feel it when I am standing r walking. It is like an intermittent buzzing sensation. It comes in short bursts on after the other then stops. It will happen when walking and I will feel it with every third or fourth step. What could be the cause? I am taking no medications, only slightly over weight and am a 47 yr. old female in good health.

This discussion is related to faint vibration or 'humming' sensation.
Your symptom of faint vibration upon walking and having intermittent buzzing sensation suggests that you are having some nerve irritation.
This could be due to nerve compression at the level of hip or at lower back.
This could be compression of sciatic nerve though you do not have shooting pain and radiating pain.
Keep us posted with your thoughts.
Bye.
I just started having the faint buzzing sensation in my left foot a few days ago, buzing for a second or two between intervals of 3-5 seconds. I thought it was machinery under the floor until I realized it was only in one foot. There is no pain or other symptom that I can relate to it.
I am a white male, just turned 60. I was raised in New England and have been doing development work in SE Asia for the past 3 decades. I am overwieght at 220 lbs and 6 ft in height, but have lost 20 lbs over the last few months on a low carb diet with lots of fresh salads. I haven't had any significant health issues for quite a while. I used to exercise regularly, even running marathons (Honolulu 2003), but slowed down a lot a few years ago due to the work load. Now I am starting to exercise more again.
Could this be related to something in our environment? or diet?
Please let me know if you learn anything more.
New England
Help!  This just started happening in my left foot in the last couple of days.  I am a 40 yr old mom of 3, extremely active, working out 3-4 times a week.  This intermittent vibrating in my foot is very unnerving.  Have you got any answers?  Nothing hurts... so, it is hard for me to think it is a back problem.
I have started having the same buzzing feeling.  Have no idea what it is.  Not overweight.  Does any body have a sensible explanation?  I do not think I have Lyme disease or am diabetic.  It started a couple of days ago.

Any ideas?
Glad to see there are others with this crazy sensation!  I've had this for at least 3 years.  I also get this sensation in my "bottom", as well as my feet.  I've got to believe it is nerve irritation.  With a recent knee injury the sensations to my feet were far more frequent and more pronounced.
I get this as well in my right foot. 1 to 2 seconds of vibrating, repeated every 2 to 3 seconds. I notice it particularly more often when I have my left leg on my right leg, but it doesn't exclusively happen then.

I also had the feeling in my groin/pelvis area a few months ago, and I really read up on it then. It seems a common thread for everyone is stress (any kind). A lot of people speculate it's horrible conditions, but they don't come to fruition. I've had an MRI because I've also had other symptoms accompanying it, and come back negative for MS or other major conditions.

Since the sensation in my groin went away I am optimistic this one will change as well. For the time being, I am just making sure I'm getting good "nerve nutrition" (Vit. c, B12, Magnesium and Calcium).. lots of regular exercise and learning to really relax (had kind of stopped doing that although I didn't realize it at first). Others have said it went away eventually without anything worse happening. The body does an amazing job of repairing itself, and there is evidence nerves are able to recover more than was ever thought possible.

My personal hypothesis is that stress caused a little nerve damage by either:
A. more muscle tension in my back, compressing my main nerve OR
B. lots of "stress" chemicals in the blood for a long period of time - known to hurt nerves.
Wow, this is my situation to a T. I am literally unable to sleep because of this. I exercise, I eat well. I'm only 35 and I'm certainly not overweight. I suppose it could be a side effect of the medication I'm on, but I've been taking it since August and this has only started in the past month. No doctors have any idea how to treat it so I guess we need to experiment with the food we eat and try to get as much nutrients as possible. Thanks for your comment because I don't feel like a crazy person anymore. - B
I'm having a similar sensation. Has been going on for 3 months now. It would be under my right foot, always in the same area, then in a different area for a while, and now sometimes in my ankle too. It's not getting worse, it just comes and goes on a regular basis.

I had a slipped disc in the past, so sciatica may be a possibility, although this feels very different (does not seem to be related to time of day, or position of my back, and not pain involved).

I'll go see a doctor to rule out the bad stuff, also since in my case I was having some very light headaches on and off on my left side, so putting 1+1 together that's something that makes your mind run crazy with bad diseases.
i HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM. i THOUGHT i WAS PLAYING MY MUSIC  TOO LOUDLY WHEN I FIRST FELT THE VIBRATIONS, BUT THEN I REALIZED THAT IT WAS HAPPENING EVEN IN THE QUIET OF NIGHT.
It's so frustrating. I can't tolerate it. It's not painful in the least, it's just so weird. When I go to bed it's hard to fall asleep because I keep feeling/hearing it. I have been exercising regularly and I am on a few medications. I'm only 35 I'm 6'1 and Weigh 184lbs. Which is pretty normal. The only area I have any excess fat is on my belly. It has to be a neurological thing. I wish doctors could help me with this. Maybe acupuncture will help us.
Hi!  Have you noticed that many of the entries are from 2008?  I came here due to my sensations of vibration in my feet.  One cause I found is a vitamin B12 deficiency.  I also read that vegetarians frequently have B12 deficiency.  I just tested in the normal range yesterday and really taking B12 didn't help in my case, at least a week later taking 1000mcg a day.  It also can be from a nerve impingement of some kind.  I read there are many causes for this and some serious.  I think for me it's an old rupture of a disk in my low back I've been living with.  You're 35 and I'm 63 yet still consider what I've mentioned.  Other causes I read, and don't worry as you don't really know and maybe have an impingement or vitamin deficiency, are possible MS, or a tumor putting pressure on your major sciatic nerve to your leg and foot.  Also circulatory obstruction can cause this.  Your doctor should order pertinent blood work and possibly MRI etc of your low back.  I'm in limbo because Dr thought it was blood related and tests came back not so even after I told him my condition was postural.  Think too of when you experience this and if it is how you lie down or sit or stand etc. as that's indicative of impingements.  Hope I helped!      
This is crazy, I thought I was crazy. and so did my doctor. I have the same vibration feeling but in my left foot. And I have been having an unusual headache on my left side.
my vibrations have stopped just like that. Thank God!!!!!!
I am a teacher. I am on vacation (2mths) from school so i am not wearing any shoes(high or tight) maybe that was the root of the problem. i am wearing sandals and slippers now until school reopens.
You are the first person to mention a "strange" headache accompanying the vibration. I have just developed the symptom of a pulsing vibration in my right foot... like many here, I thought it was music/machinery/something else. I also have this echoey, achy head that is not something I've experienced before. I'm a little worried, but not so much I want to run off to the doctor's yet.  
I'm a 41 year old male, and my left foot just began to vibrate when I went to lay down and read tonight.  At first I thought it was some vibration coming through the bed my foot was on, so I moved around the house, and soon realized it was coming from within my foot...  I had to google this and was amazed that there were so many identical entries!  Mine comes every 3 seconds and lasts for 1 second.  It is very distracting and I'm not able to take my mind away from it...  I've worked for the past 18&1/2 years at a computer keyboard for approx. 9 hours a day (with just a 30-min. lunch break).  Have had sciatica and some steroid injections in the sacroiliac joint for inflammation, but it's been about 8 months since my last injection (the 4th in about 5 years).   Reading here, I see a lot of mentions of possible nerve relationship to hip or sciatic nerve...  I'm hoping it stops soon!
I too have noticed that strange sensation in only one foot, and originally thought it was vibration in the floor, like loud music playing!  But it IS in my foot. The only thing I can add to the discussion is that I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I don't know if that is significant, but for some of you that have other random, unexplained symptoms, you might check into that diagnosis.  Good luck!
I had this problem for several days over this summer, which resulted in my search for this site.  After reading the comments, I stopped taking Centrum multi-vitamins and the vibrations stopped.  It has been two months and they have not returned.  Just thought this might be helpful to some.
Thought I was going crazy..A few months ago my right foot started vibrating-then one night while sleeping I felt like I was laying on top of a running refrigerator (thought maybe it was coming from the apt below me) went into another room and realized it was me vibrating..very scary feeling..now its only happening in my left foot..has anyone found out whats causing this..
I have the same problem, just started happening. For over a year, though, I have been having problem with my left heel and thought I had Plantars Fasciitis. But now I have this tingling. I found it could possibly be tarsal tunnel syndrome. Google it. Maybe we all need to see a doctor.
So no one has had a definitive diagnosis?  I just noticed this a couple of nights ago, while I was trying to sleep.  It's very distracting, and now it's doing it whether I'm lying down or sitting.  I have a vibration in my left heel, and another in the ball of my right foot.  They alternate, each lasting a second or two, with no real space of time in between---straight from one foot to the other.  If anyone gets a diagnosis, please let me know.  I can ask my doctor, but from what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like he's likely to know what it is.  I'm 39 years old with only minor health problems: mitral valve prolapse (no meds), hypothyroidism (synthroid), depression (Wellbutrin), anxiety (Xanax--occasionally), and recurrent UTIs for which I'm on a maintenance antibiotic and flomax---just in case that provides any clues.  Oh... and I HAVE been very stressed over the last few years, to the point where I've been concerned it might affect my health.
I too have been under quite a bit of stress..I asked both my Dr's (primary and hematologist) I have a blood disorder..and neither one of them has  ever heard of this..The vibrating in my feet has been going on for about 6 months and the vibrating in my chest  has happened 3 times..Its the strangest thing..hopefully someone comes up with an reason for this..
amazing, thank God for the internet, I have been working at my computer for hours, thought the vibration from the fridge was in the floor and traveling to my foot, then I became moe aware, as its like a buzzing vibration is the best way to decribe it, no pain, i went upstairs to see if it was my floor or something, it was still there! ...its really odd, but as I started to really get worried, I said hey theres the world wide web, and bingo here i am, I also noticed I can feel the vibration on the outside of my foot when I just hold it, weird. I have had headaches and also congestion sinus issues, and over weight, but I dont think that has anything to do with it. have no clue what its from.