for my daughter
my daughter is 3 and a half and at 11 month had a vp shunt put in  due to spinal bifida with fluid on the brain well in the last month an a half we have been to the hospital 2 times and they say it is a shunt problem but we have to wait and see which part is going out well the first time it was a uti with ecoli  got to stay 4 days that time well this time she was air  lifted to the hospital and they said it was her shunt but by the time she got to the hospital her shunt was working well they did the ct scan and shunt series x rays and her shunt is fine and they can not give me a reason for it she got  fever  a day after being at the hospital but they dont know why all her test and cultures came back clean and normal please help i cant keep seeing my baby lifeless once a month
Hi, Thank you for your question. If she has any symptoms, possible causes may be shunt is either under-draining or over-draining. Her doctor can assess this with a lumbar puncture and measures the fluid pressure. He/She may make some adjustment of the shunt to allow it to drain more and can monitor if the headache improve. Another possibility could be shunt is over-draining, that may lead to low CSF pressure that can also lead to headache. This may improve when the person lies down and gets worse when the person sits or stands. Other possibility could be migraine or cluster headache since these types of headaches are quite common in females. Even then if she suffers continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of her headaches and can suggest her appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.