Neurology Expert Forum
fractured bone dowel
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

fractured bone dowel

Posted By Kathi on October 25, 1998 at 21:36:50:

Diagnosed with herniniated C5/6 cervical disc 12.97. Surgery performed 05.98 anterior discectomey and keel bone fusion. Approximately 3-4 weeks after surgey my body told me that something was wrong. My neurosurgeon would not listen and I did not see him until schedualled post-operative appointment 7 weeks after surgery. Upon examination and regular cervical x-ray, neurosurgeon advised that bone dowel had cracked/fractured/extruded. He could not explain why this happened, and to date I still do not have answers. Had second surgery 09.98; removed extruded bone dowel, replaced and stabilized with metal plate. Was told pre-surgerically that bone dowel would be removed and replaced with exactly the same material. When woke up from surgery, relized that bone graft was taken from hip, which is fine with me if rate of success is greater.
My question is why did this bone dowel crack/fracture/extrude (all terms used by my neurosurgeon). How common is this? Could you point me in the direction of studies?
My inquiry is twoforld,and I apologize for the length of my inquiry. Is there any research that would support a claim that a herniated cervical disc can be the result of a Cummulative Trauma Disorder/Repetive Strain Injury, as a result of years of intensive work at VDU's. One such work site being ergonomically deficient. It seems to me that the incereased pressure on the neck and hence cervical discs as a result of work at a VDU is not such a strange proposition. I am convinced that this is how my injury occured, but am having a difficult time proving this. Any help would be great.
Thank you
Kathi