Neurology Expert Forum
frequent episodes of feeling light headed and burning pain in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a 48 yr old female who was diagnosed with cluster headaches. I also have recurrent herpes type ii on buttock which is in continual breakout inspite of antivirals for which i see infection disease specialist.  I have severe headaches when i am broke out which are a burning cutting headache.  I get another headache which is in my face and eyes.  Lately new symptoms have increased.  Visual auras of flashing lights and blurring.  I also get out of the blue, while i am laughing sometimes, and sometimes when just sitting a weird sensation of feeling like all my muscles get feeling real weak and feel like someone is pushing me over. This only last about 2-3 minutes followed by sweating. Another symptom i have is when i am concentrating hard i start to have a burning sensation on left side top of my head. I also start to feel lightheaded. This symptom is getting worse to the point that i can not get excited or stressed or i begin to feel lightheaded and weak.  These symptoms seem to be getting progressively worse. I feel like i am losing my mind.  Just concentrating to write this is causing the burning and lightheaded feeling.  I take Predisone 10 mg day, skelaxin and Ms Contin for the headaches.  I just want to feel normal again and can't seem to get answers.  I just know that as each week passes by I am getting worse.  MRI showed some small white spots but neuro says nothing significant.  I sometimes have weakness in my right arm.  I can actually point to the area in my head that feels wierd with burning. What can it be, my dr. thinks its due to my headaches?
Multiple symptoms that may or may not be related to each other.  The most concerning thing is that your headaches are severe to the point of requiring potentially addictive narcotics for pain relief.  This may not be the best mode of treatment especially if it's chronic pain. Consider taking something for prophylaxis like indomethacin if it's really cluster headaches. The auras may indicate they're more migranous in nature, which in that case calcium channel blockers, inderal, or even elavil may be good medications for daily prevention.  For abortive meds, the triptans like zomig may be helpful for the migraine like headaches.  Oxygen may help with the cluster (usually seen in men, may want to revisit that diagnosis).

As for the lightheadedness, not sure what to make of it.  Sudden weakness with laughter or excitement can be seen in narcolepsy, but usually other symptoms are present.  Perimenopausal symptoms can be similar.  Routine lab tests to look for electrolyte abnormalites and thyroid disease may also be helpful.  

Pain appears to be the predominant problem.  If a thorough search has already been done to investigate any underyling problems that are correctable, then consider going to a chronic pain manangement clinic. GOod luck